Vumatel Price change

rrh

Expert Member
It does seem to me it's an FNO issue not sure if i mentioned on this thread or the other one I have 2 accounts at 2 different addresses 1 runs perfectly the other not so much (this was June so far July both accounts no issue)
My current ISP has finally confirmed (under much duress :) ) that the move from an asymmetrical 50/5 Mbps to a symmetrical 50/50 Mbps is as much as I can expect from the Vumatel price changes.

Further discussion led to their stating that their network is superior to many others.

Which, in turn, made me wonder as to just how much an ISP can influence the technical aspects (e.g. dropped connections, speed etc.) of a network that is run by others i.e the FNO ?

Can anyone - especially the company reps - provide an answer ?

CS1977

Still nothing from VOX. Same speed, same invoice.
I had to contact support about the price change on 100/100 and they in turn sent me a new "contract" to sign for 100/100 at the reduced rate. My invoice has since been fixed to reflect the correct pricing

BasBas

Cell C upgraded me from my 20/20 to a 50/50 line. Vuma prices are still not great, but i guess they are better than what they used to be....

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
My current ISP has finally confirmed (under much duress :) ) that the move from an asymmetrical 50/5 Mbps to a symmetrical 50/50 Mbps is as much as I can expect from the Vumatel price changes.

Further discussion led to their stating that their network is superior to many others.

Which, in turn, made me wonder as to just how much an ISP can influence the technical aspects (e.g. dropped connections, speed etc.) of a network that is run by others i.e the FNO ?

Can anyone - especially the company reps - provide an answer ?

Think of a plumbing system. The FNO provides the "pipes" - if those are problematic, you get blockages (congestion) or leaks (last mile packet loss and session drops) and sometimes even breaks (outages). This said, the way the pipes are designed and upstream pipes used (backhaul) can influence the quality, throughput and reliability of a connection. L2 (the plumbing) is deceivingly tricky at times - same as in a house's plumbing, the selection of kit and the way it's set up dramatically affects the pressure and reliability of the water that is to come, and just because water comes out the tap, doesn't mean it's the best way to do it, nor is that water flowing the way it really should.

The ISP on the other hand is the water in the pipes. ISPs can control where it comes from (latency to various destinations), how much is available (contentions, throttling and speeds), what flavour to add (special work on the packets and for ISPs that do, shaping the availability of certain protocols). Each ISP usually has its own unique flavour of water in the pipes. ISPs can also drop sessions (if their kit is under duress) or have constraints of their own on their networks.

Essentially, you want to be on a FNO (if you have a choice) with a track record of providing a decent L2 service to ISPs (well designed networks, quick maintenance and support and generally quick response to L2 issues). And with ISPs, well you have many more choices and should consider factors such as support (seeing as they usually interface between you and the FNO), network (latency and general capabilities), reliability etc.

rrh

Expert Member
Think of a plumbing system. The FNO provides the "pipes" - if those are problematic, you get blockages (congestion) or leaks (last mile packet loss and session drops) and sometimes even breaks (outages). This said, the way the pipes are designed and upstream pipes used (backhaul) can influence the quality, throughput and reliability of a connection. L2 (the plumbing) is deceivingly tricky at times - same as in a house's plumbing, the selection of kit and the way it's set up dramatically affects the pressure and reliability of the water that is to come, and just because water comes out the tap, doesn't mean it's the best way to do it, nor is that water flowing the way it really should.

The ISP on the other hand is the water in the pipes. ISPs can control where it comes from (latency to various destinations), how much is available (contentions, throttling and speeds), what flavour to add (special work on the packets and for ISPs that do, shaping the availability of certain protocols). Each ISP usually has its own unique flavour of water in the pipes. ISPs can also drop sessions (if their kit is under duress) or have constraints of their own on their networks.

Essentially, you want to be on a FNO (if you have a choice) with a track record of providing a decent L2 service to ISPs (well designed networks, quick maintenance and support and generally quick response to L2 issues). And with ISPs, well you have many more choices and should consider factors such as support (seeing as they usually interface between you and the FNO), network (latency and general capabilities), reliability etc.
Many thanks for the concise explanation, which was much as I expected.

So, ultimately, very little blame for session drops / outages / etc. can be attributed to the ISP, other than a reluctance by the ISP support teams to get involved (reporting issues to the FNO & monitoring resolution, keeping customers advised of progress, etc.) when their customers have problems.

Tech_Mech

Cell C upgraded me from my 20/20 to a 50/50 line. Vuma prices are still not great, but i guess they are better than what they used to be....
Call in to cancel, they will put you through to retentions, and they will offer a 9-15% discount on that 50/50 line. Have not had any issues with them for very long, and the discount makes it easier to stick with them now.

TheTraveler

Call in to cancel, they will put you through to retentions, and they will offer a 9-15% discount on that 50/50 line. Have not had any issues with them for very long, and the discount makes it easier to stick with them now.
How long was the discount valid for? For me it was only 3 months.

MEG101

If I may ask, are you happy with speeds, and are Cell C fiber completely uncapped Unshaped and Unthrottled with No FUP? My usage per month on PureDSL is 5TB+ and I have a uncapped unshaped connection no FUP. I see Cell C offers free installation and connection on Vuma, and the price of R990 per month for 100/100 is very good priced. Even R1308 for 1000/200 is also great.

Tech_Mech

If I may ask, are you happy with speeds, and are Cell C fiber completely uncapped Unshaped and Unthrottled with No FUP? My usage per month on PureDSL is 5TB+ and I have a uncapped unshaped connection no FUP. I see Cell C offers free installation and connection on Vuma, and the price of R990 per month for 100/100 is very good priced. Even R1308 for 1000/200 is also great.
Been with them for 3 years, no issues at all with speed, no throttling at all, the free router they provided is one of the better ones as well. Only ISP at the time to offer free installation, activation, router AND 3 months free Fibre. Service is good as well, send an email and they call you next day to resolve.

MEG101

Been with them for 3 years, no issues at all with speed, no throttling at all, the free router they provided is one of the better ones as well. Only ISP at the time to offer free installation, activation, router AND 3 months free Fibre. Service is good as well, send an email and they call you next day to resolve.
Thank you very much for the reply. People have much issues on Vodacom, and just wanted to make sure about Cell C - they offer free installation and connection and router on Vuma and priced good.