WARNING to potential 8ta subscribers

Jeffrsnapln

I am posting this as a warning to anyone who may be considering signing up for any kind of contract with 8ta.

I signed up for the Internet 5 promo in August 2011. I received my invoices etc, but my account was never debited. I let it ride for a while because I had read on Mbb that some other users had experienced a similar thing. Eventually I phoned in and they told me not to worry, it would be debited soon.

When it got to R1000 I started to worry. When it got to R1200, I decided something had to be done. I phoned them and found out their banking details etc and paid in full. (this was no easy task. It took me about 4 days.)

Around the same time that I made the payment (I think it was a day or two before), my line was suspended.

After sending through my proof of payment umpteen times to the fax number and 3 different emails... and many very frustrating phone calls, I found out that the reference number they told me to use for the payment (Cellphone number) was incorrect. Apparently there is some other arb number that you are supposed to use.

Since then I have been sending my proof of payment through daily, with the incorrect and correct reference numbers very clearly marked on it - to all of the below addresses:

social@8ta.com
TM-CBO@8ta.com
letlham@telkom.co.za
kaliak@telkom.co.za
MpofuN@telkom.co.za

3 of the above recipients have assured me on the phone that they would personally see that the matter gets sorted out as speedily as possible. None of them have done anything more than that.

I have now been without service for more than 3 weeks. Anyone who tries to run a business will understand the cost of that.

My point is simply this: If you don't mind paying for a service that you aren't getting then 8ta is for you. If you require any level of customer service, or indeed service delivery, then you better look elsewhere.

PS: If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get this mess sorted out, I would be very glad to hear from you.

wily me

Expert Member
Go directly to the closest Telkom agency and talk to a customer service agent. That's your only bet.

Nokkie

Executive Member
Thanks for the heads up, Knew these services were to good to be true anyways.

I am posting this as a warning to anyone who may be considering signing up for any kind of contract with 8ta.

I signed up for the Internet 5 promo in August 2011. I received my invoices etc, but my account was never debited. I let it ride for a while because I had read on Mbb that some other users had experienced a similar thing. Eventually I phoned in and they told me not to worry, it would be debited soon.

When it got to R1000 I started to worry. When it got to R1200, I decided something had to be done. I phoned them and found out their banking details etc and paid in full. (this was no easy task. It took me about 4 days.)

Around the same time that I made the payment (I think it was a day or two before), my line was suspended.

After sending through my proof of payment umpteen times to the fax number and 3 different emails... and many very frustrating phone calls, I found out that the reference number they told me to use for the payment (Cellphone number) was incorrect. Apparently there is some other arb number that you are supposed to use.

Since then I have been sending my proof of payment through daily, with the incorrect and correct reference numbers very clearly marked on it - to all of the below addresses:

social@8ta.com
TM-CBO@8ta.com
letlham@telkom.co.za
kaliak@telkom.co.za
MpofuN@telkom.co.za

3 of the above recipients have assured me on the phone that they would personally see that the matter gets sorted out as speedily as possible. None of them have done anything more than that.

I have now been without service for more than 3 weeks. Anyone who tries to run a business will understand the cost of that.

My point is simply this: If you don't mind paying for a service that you aren't getting then 8ta is for you. If you require any level of customer service, or indeed service delivery, then you better look elsewhere.

PS: If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get this mess sorted out, I would be very glad to hear from you.

Jeffrsnapln

Did you post on hellopeter?
Hellopeter only works with companies who keep tabs on it for the purpose of of improving customer service. Strangely, Cell C is one who does that. Does anyone know if Telkom / 8ta takes any notice of it? If they do, I'll certainly try it.

Jeffrsnapln

Well... 8ta is after all Telkom.

And we all know what Telkom is like.
Thank you for that very informative and entirely useless piece of information.:p Exactly what I was afraid of from the start!

MickeyD

RIP
Hellopeter only works with companies who keep tabs on it for the purpose of of improving customer service. Strangely, Cell C is one who does that. Does anyone know if Telkom / 8ta takes any notice of it? If they do, I'll certainly try it.
There's an official 8ta rep right here on MyBB. He is the same person who looks at any hellopeter complaints, so rather PM him here....

Jeffrsnapln

There's an official 8ta rep right here on MyBB. He is the same person who looks at any hellopeter complaints, so rather PM him here....
Yes, I've dealt with him/she/it before. What I want to know is: Is that one person , or a department? what is at the other end of the email address social@8ta.com? This is the address that the user 8ta seems to use, but that is one of the addresses that I have been emailing constantly for 3 weeks. The most I have got out of it is an assurance that my case has been escalated to whatever blah blah blah... and still nothing happens.

Last edited:

TeRRoRByteZ2007

I haven't had problems yet with billing. BUT - 8ta still hasn't activated my itemized billing, it was activated for the first two months. Been to a 8ta outlet many times and assured that it will be turned on. Still waiting.

Otherwise I haven't had problems.

Good luck!

Jeffrsnapln

Emailed yet again and PMed the 8ta rep. Now I'll sit back and wait for nothing to happen. :mad:

marlboro

I had similar experience as the original poster. The only difference is I paid approx. R1200 manually when the debit order didn't go through and the next month 8ta debited the same R12000 from my account. So I paid them double for 4 months and despite 8ta's rep here reassuring me since December my money will be credited, nothing happened to date!

8ta is simply stealing money and that is fraud! And the 8ta rep or whoever is answering social@8ta.co.za is a lier!

GeForce

What is the cost involved in cancelling the 8ta contract? In the one month I have had it, I have only had 2 weeks of reasonable experience with 8ta and since then my connection has been utterly useless.

Mbuzi

Expert Member
What is the cost involved in cancelling the 8ta contract? In the one month I have had it, I have only had 2 weeks of reasonable experience with 8ta and since then my connection has been utterly useless.
About R600 to cancel a data only contract with no modem