We are not tricking anyone into installing Windows 10: Microsoft

Dan C

Honorary Master
BOLLOCKS! ... Monday night I was having a good gaming session on Win7/Steam .... Tuesday morning my machine had rebooted and was running Windows10 #P155ED_OFF!
:crylaugh:

Devinity

When I got the update a year ago all I did was click it away. I got a reminder I think back in January and it's not popped up since then. I still have the little icon on my task bar.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Doherty said they are mindful about the broadband challenges in the South African market.

However, there has been pressure from customers locally and abroad to get their free upgrade before Microsoft’s free Windows 10 promotion ends on 29 July.
What a load of ****e....

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
When I got the update a year ago all I did was click it away. I got a reminder I think back in January and it's not popped up since then. I still have the little icon on my task bar.
You probably have your automatic updates switched off on your computer, that is why you are not getting this forced down your throat

rrh

Expert Member
If you believe Microsoft's explanation then I have this bridge that I can let you have for a very good price ...

ingeon

Definition - What does Brute Force Attack mean?

A brute force attack is a trial-and-error method used to obtain information such as a user password or personal identification number (PIN). In a brute force attack, automated software is used to generate a large number of consecutive guesses as to the value of the desired data. Brute force attacks may be used by criminals to crack encrypted data, or by security analysts to test an organization's network security.

A brute force attack may also be referred to as brute force cracking
Or to install a Windows 10 upgrade :p

I O U

Win 10 discussed on latest Security Now episode (in the last 2 days)

Do yourselves a favour & listen from approx. the 12th - 18th minute of this latest Security Now episode where Steve Gibson hammers those who think that Win 10 is the most secure OS, MS have ever brought out, and mentions a few other revelations about the newest OS as well :

[video=youtube;cxGmQWrNQC4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxGmQWrNQC4[/video]

Speed it up to about 1.5x , as he talks too slowly @ his normal pace :)

Last edited:

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
They're basically admitting it by releasing this press release, if the argument didn't hold water than why bother even trying to address it.

I O U

I've avoided these forced updates altogether - Win 7 desktop & laptop, and Win 8.1 laptop - as I've always had them to "never check for updates" .. that is something they mention in either that episode I've posted above, or another TWiT episode very recently - that a lot more people have been setting their machines to do the same.

I'd say it's a nice little side-worry for MS, that they've suddenly created out of the blue. Idiots of note. My one laptop is soon going to be dual-booting to Win 7 & Linux for testing, and if I can get the few progs. I need to work on Linux, I'll over time wipe MS's OS's from both my machines, and my, memory :D

Browser

Microsoft is pushing their Windows 10 upgrade so hard it's quite comparable to malicious software. How many times do people have to try and prevent it, why is there no option to stop it permanently or make it "opt in". How many more programs are there going to be to stop it from altering peoples computers, there are already many options from varying sources, though Never10 on GRC.com is easiest to recommend.

This anti-consumer, if not outright malicious like behaviour by Microsoft is costing many people time and money.

It even risks lives in certain situations, for example when their updates all but shut down the anti poaching Chinko Project, while also costing them a fortune. A loss of communication while trying to protect endangered wildlife from armed poachers can end things catastrophically to say the least. Meanwhile the fortune it cost them doesn't help with already slim funding, or them trying to raise money to get their plane back in the air, which is much needed to stop poachers killing endangered animals.

https://www.generosity.com/animal-pet-fundraising/the-chinko-project-african-anti-poaching-team

http://www.newsweek.com/microsofts-...ost-anti-poaching-non-profit-467080?piano_t=1

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/03/windows_10_upgrade_satellite_link/

Microsoft once got hammered for including a simple browser with Windows, though now they are seemingly given free reign to completely alter peoples systems without even a single clear "opt out" being provided. There is outcry and moaning virtually everywhere you look, yet they are quite content in letting Microsoft do this....

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Yawn!!! Seriously people still going on about this? I've upgraded to Win10 when it hit RTM last year and apart from being bugged to restart every fortnight then later once a month I haven't had any trouble. Would love to go over to Ubuntu but seems this TP-Link usb wireless which is a PITA to get working stable under Windows 10 is even more of a major PITA to get working under Ubuntu. Wish Loot still had those Belkin usb wireless dongles for sale at R99. I'd be over that like a rash.

Chris14

Expert Member
For those of you running automatic updates.

Just do the following while you have the Win 10 Notification on task-bar

Click Programs, in its options select View installed updates. Use the search box in the top right corner of your Window to find KB3035583, which is the name of the update you want to remove. Once this update is displayed, click on it with the right mouse button and select Uninstall

Neo_X

Expert Member
give me a sick feeling - all this free windows update 10 business - all good and well, but the light at the end of the tunnel is most like a train driven by bill gates :eek:

they should have rather admitted that the dialog box was programmed incorrectly , and have taken actions to fix it. piling on another more unbelievable lie is just not going to fly...

sajunky

Honorary Master
Microsoft once got hammered for including a simple browser with Windows, though now they are seemingly given free reign to completely alter peoples systems without even a single clear "opt out" being provided. There is outcry and moaning virtually everywhere you look, yet they are quite content in letting Microsoft do this....
MS browser issue was only a small offense in anti-monopoly case. IBM had bigger problems, only escaped by a narrow margin from breakup. In this case there are multiple cases where criminal law can apply. It is a slow process, but once it starts damages can be unrecoverable.
https://www.change.org/p/the-electo...-for-malicious-practices-regarding-windows-10

Last edited: