WebAfrica Capped ADSL

I'm on Home Capped with a 20Mb VDSL line

  • If I start an NNTP download before 17h00 I get pathetic speeds i.e. down to 30Kb, even stopped.
  • If, after 17h30 / 18h00, I want to improve my speed I normally have to re-boot my modem i.e. establish a new connection. The connection does not "auto-upgrade".
  • The speed (after re-start) can be anything from 100Kb to 2.3Mb: it appears to be purely random.
  • A second restart will have the same purely random results.

Hi,

Please PM me your account details so I can take a look.
 
What's happening to the WebAfrica speeds in the evening?

I'm on a 10Mbps line and data account with WebAfrica in Cape Town, and I'm seeing this on the speed tests currently (repeat of last night):


Does this have to do with the load-shedding? When I ran a speed test this morning the speeds had picked up again, so I'm guessing the same thing will happen tomorrow morning.

Does NOT help when I want to stream something in the evenings, though :/ Is this a known problem?

Alternatively, if it's possible I'm being shaped by WebAfrica, where would I see this as a capped user? I don't seem to have the star rating all the uncapped people keep talking about.
 
Also in Cape Town, 7.5Mbps line sync (high attenuation, low SNR).



That's pretty good for my line and it's also very stable. (Business Capped)
 
Must say I've also found that speeds are slow after load-shedding. Takes about 10 minutes before we can watch Netflix and the quality only goes back to normal after 30. I'll do some speed tests every 10 mins if I can find the time to test soon.

I somehow doubt there's anything WebAfrica can do about that :-\
 
What's happening to the WebAfrica speeds in the evening?

I'm on a 10Mbps line and data account with WebAfrica in Cape Town, and I'm seeing this on the speed tests currently (repeat of last night):

Also experiencing similar suspect speeds in CT - WA is usually so stable on capped...

[UPDATE] Sorted! Modem reboot did the trick.
 
Last edited:
What is the WA policy on torrent downloads during the day? Speed?
 
WebAfrica Helper, the Billing Department dropped the ball again :mad:.

I still have a R71 credit note left over from the billing issue of March. I'll create a ticket with a history of all other tickets as soon as I get back home and send the email to support and billing too.
 
Hi guys, im thinking of using WA as my internet provider. is 2mbps a good speed to download(occassionally)?
 
Anyone else getting poor NNTP speeds during the day? I seem to be capped on 230kb/s for the last week or so.. (10mb line)
 
Anyone else getting poor NNTP speeds during the day? I seem to be capped on 230kb/s for the last week or so.. (10mb line)

I'm noticing some highly erratic speeds on a large torrent I'm downloading strictly overnight between midnight and 06:00. The night before last, I managed to download 4GB of the torrent. Last night, only 2GB. *sighs* I dunno how to even start diagnosing that ... it might just be a case of not enough seeds, or poor international bandwidth. I'm on a 10Mbps line, so that's really poor performance in six hours off-peak, anyway.
 
I'm noticing some highly erratic speeds on a large torrent I'm downloading strictly overnight between midnight and 06:00. The night before last, I managed to download 4GB of the torrent. Last night, only 2GB. *sighs* I dunno how to even start diagnosing that ... it might just be a case of not enough seeds, or poor international bandwidth. I'm on a 10Mbps line, so that's really poor performance in six hours off-peak, anyway.

Torrents are tricky to diagnose, since as you said they're seeded randomly from all over.

In my case I'm connected to both WA and IS servers and get the same speeds no matter what file, cached or uncached.
 
Anyone else getting poor NNTP speeds during the day? I seem to be capped on 230kb/s for the last week or so.. (10mb line)

I have been averaging about 40kb/s on a 20MB/s VDSL line Home Capped account.
 
Anyone else getting poor NNTP speeds during the day? I seem to be capped on 230kb/s for the last week or so.. (10mb line)

I have been averaging about 40kb/s on a 20MB/s VDSL line Home Capped account.

You don't mention which news servers you're using. I needed to get something the other morning and ran at full speed on my 40Mbit line. Using Usenetbucket and NGN.
 
You don't mention which news servers you're using. I needed to get something the other morning and ran at full speed on my 40Mbit line. Using Usenetbucket and NGN.

The WA/IS news server.

I used to get full speed during the day, but no more.

When I complained I was told that NNTP was shaped using a profile similar to P2P, i.e. it was implied that higher speeds were in fact an error on their part.
 
The WA/IS news server.

Well there's your problem. Get a proper news provider and use SSL on your connections. I've never known the IS news server to be consistent, better than most other ISP backed news servers but still just best effort.
 
Well there's your problem. Get a proper news provider and use SSL on your connections. I've never known the IS news server to be consistent, better than most other ISP backed news servers but still just best effort.

I use Astra when I am in a hurry, but it is rarely that important
 
Is the personal DSL console of your Web site busted?

I get an error message when I try to log in.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X