Weight Loss Challenge

rudivdw

Hi guys!

I really wanted to share this with you - I've been overweight pretty much since conception (that might be a slight exaggeration... my whole life basically). I've tried everything, from dieting to exercising, with nothing giving me any good results. Nothing pains me more than seeing people jogging by the beach, and they make it looks so easy - as if they're "gliding" - grrr!!! :)

Anyway, I got married in April 2010, and after that I ballooned even a bit more - you know, that typical "I'm happily married, so let's have some good food and good wine to top it off!" scenario! Last year August, I topped the scale at 95.5kg - the heaviest I've ever been in my life (you might think that that's not that heavy, but I'm only 1.73m tall, so I was a good 20kg over my ideal weight!).

Until one day the missus decided to drag me with to this weight loss challenge thing she wants to go have a look at. After many hours of protest (I mean, MEN DON'T DO WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGES!!!), and clawing at the door frames, I decided to be the good, supportive husband, and tagged along...

We were there for 5 minutes, and both decided to go on this 12 week weight loss challenge thing. UGH!! - Goodbye Pizza, hello salads :(

It did turn out that we didn't have to eat the salad if we don't want to - at the challenge we learned about good nutrition, and basically what the body needs. Also something they call your "resting metabolic rate", as well as our "protein factors". I won't bore you with the details on that for now... After the first week, we went in to weigh again, and I dropped a very awesome 2.4kg! (except for the detoxing, with a few headaches, it was actually not that bad!)

After 2 weeks I didn't get headaches anymore, and was well on my weigh! (see what I did there! hehe)

I ended up winning our 12 week weight loss challenge, with a total weight loss of 11kg. I still have a few kilos to go though, so I haven't stopped, and I'm currently weighing in at about 83kg (LOTS better than 95.5kg!!).

My gorgeous wife placed second in the challenge, with a loss of 8kg!

I'm also happy to report that over the festive season, neither of us gained any weight at all (which is usually NOT the case!).

I have decided to become involved with these weight loss challenges - the main reason is this: If you've been overweight your whole life, and suddenly succeed (and without much difficulty) in losing some weight - there isn't a better feeling in the world. I'm almost like that one Johnny Bravo cartoon, where he's running down this corridor with mirrors on the wall, and passing each mirror, he first has to look at himself - hehehehe...

Finally losing some weight after 29 years of being overweight has changed my life, and I want to help people who also wanna do the same.

We have 2 weight loss challenges running in the general Cape Town are - one in Sunningdale (close to Blouberg), and the other in Rondebosch. If you would be interested to shed a few, send me a message and I'll gladly give you more info!

Here is my before and after:

Note: to all the designers out there - I used Comic Sans font in the above pic on purpose hehe :)

Cheers for now!
Rudi

Shellyb1

Expert Member
Awesome dude. Congratulations!

Apart from eating well, did you have to gym or exercise? I am around your old weight and height...my wife been urging me to do weighless but I keep pushing it off. This is just what I needed.

Thanks!

D3x

Expert Member
Can you recommend a good book (something a South African understand) on nutrition?

rudivdw

Awesome dude. Congratulations!

Apart from eating well, did you have to gym or exercise? I am around your old weight and height...my wife been urging me to do weighless but I keep pushing it off. This is just what I needed.

Thanks!
Hi there, thanks for the congrats :)

Uhm, if you call going to the squash court twice in the 12 weeks, exercise, then yes :)

But no, for my first 11kg I didn't exercise almost at all, after that we did start playing squash about 4-6 times a week - but we really enjoy that, so it's more for the "kuier" than the exercise (which is a bonus).

We do also sometimes take the dogs to the beach for a nice long walk, but that's all.

Long story short, with my 12 week challenge we didn't exercise :)

(awesome hey!)

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Well done, dude, but that picture in the bottom right is extremely gay :D I pictured a speech bubble above it saying, "I'm so gay..." :p

RustyPrincess

Expert Member
Well done. Was the competition based on % body fat lost, or purely on number okf Kg's lost?

rudivdw

Can you recommend a good book (something a South African understand) on nutrition?
Howdy - hmmf we learnt all the stuff at our weight loss challenge actually (there was weekly get-togethers, each including a lesson in nutrition), there was no literature involved...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help than that!

Rudi

rudivdw

Well done. Was the competition based on % body fat lost, or purely on number okf Kg's lost?
There were basically 2 categories - most weight lost, and most centimeters lost. It wasn't extremely official though, we were about 15 people taking part in the challenge, and everyone ended up losing some weight (average was about 5-6kg), I was just lucky because they say guys lose weight easier apparently!

I did win R1000 though :) and my wife won the most cm's lost, and she pocketed R500 :D

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Have you read the basic nutrition thread on bodybuilding.com? Its quite comprehensive.