Weird Line Speed Changes

goocreations

I have an uncapped 4meg ADSL line with Afrihost. My router always indicated that my current line speed was at 4096 with the maximum speed at 13312. Since about a week ago I noticed very slow downloads on my line, not hitting a rate higher than 200kb/s. When I logged into my router again, I noticed that the current speed now sits at 3072, with a maximum rate of 13152.

Does anyone know why this happened. I know that ISPs shape your traffic on their servers, but can Telkom or any ISP shape you by directly changing the current physical speed of your ADSL line? I don't believe the Telkom line was damaged, since the maximum rate is more or less the same. Can one trust these indications on a router?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I have an uncapped 4meg ADSL line with Afrihost. My router always indicated that my current line speed was at 4096 with the maximum speed at 13312. Since about a week ago I noticed very slow downloads on my line, not hitting a rate higher than 200kb/s. When I logged into my router again, I noticed that the current speed now sits at 3072, with a maximum rate of 13152.

Does anyone know why this happened. I know that ISPs shape your traffic on their servers, but can Telkom or any ISP shape you by directly changing the current physical speed of your ADSL line? I don't believe the Telkom line was damaged, since the maximum rate is more or less the same. Can one trust these indications on a router?
Just reboot your router and let it resync.
If that doesn't work, click the good old afrihost "fix my line" button ;)

goocreations

I've restarted my router more than 20 times without any success. I also tried to use Afrihost's "Fix line" feature numerous times last week, but I always got an error message when trying to do that. I just tried it again and it worked - my line is now back at 4096. You got to love Afrihost's clientzone.

Thanks man.

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi There,
Glad you are back up and working again. The reason for the poor throughput could be a congested exchange.
While it may be fine now I would keep an eye on it in the next few days to see if it comes back.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic

Regards

Tim

whatwhat

Executive Member
Hi There,
Glad you are back up and working again. The reason for the poor throughput could be a congested exchange.
While it may be fine now I would keep an eye on it in the next few days to see if it comes back.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic

Regards

Tim
eh? He lost his 4Mb sync and was syncing at 3Mb. has nothing to do with congestion but that his port was wonky. Recreating it fixed it.