What coffee machine? R10k budget

genetic

Honorary Master
I want to buy a semi decent coffee machine. Budget around R10k.

I currently use a stove top Moka pot which cost me R700. Im happy with it, but the issue is that when I wake up I don't want to faff around for 10min trying to make a cup of coffee, so would like to automate this process.

I'm looking for a bean to cup machine. I don't drink cappuccinos, only Americano's, so frothing milk isn't a priority.

Thanks!

mister

Executive Member
I want to buy a semi decent coffee machine. Budget around R10k.

I currently use a stove top Moka pot which cost me R700. Im happy with it, but the issue is that when I wake up I don't want to faff around for 10min trying to make a cup of coffee, so would like to automate this process.

I'm looking for a bean to cup machine. I don't drink cappuccinos, only Americano's, so frothing milk isn't a priority.

Thanks!
Get the Moka pot ready the night before & save R10k :X3:

mister

Executive Member
Uhmm... Pre-boiling the water and waiting for the stove is what takes time. Not prepping the coffee.
Why do you pre-boil? I don't on an electric hob and it's not that slow?

genetic

Honorary Master
Why do you pre-boil? I don't on an electric hob and it's not that slow?
Because water boils a lot faster in a kettle than on a stove top, reducing the time it takes to make coffee.

gfmalan

Expert Member
We have the Bosch version, stopped buying instant coffee, just few kg beans from Woolies.

https://www.takealot.com/siemens-eq-6-plus-s500-fully-automatic-coffee-maker/PLID48293829

Not my favorite, but we have two in the office and they are lasting 5 years now, does the job and fit into your budget, but I’ll take the Bosch/Siemens first (not that noisy)
https://www.makro.co.za/appliances/small-appliances/coffee-machines/specialty-coffee-machines/delonghi-magnifica-automatic-coffee-machine-/p/000000000000096145_EA?gclid=CL_oz86n3OICFUso0wodpTUAxg

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

maxxis

Breville Barista Express.

Had mine for about 6 years I think and still going strong.

While it is technically not a bean-to-cup it does pull a great single or double shot. Boil your kettle while you get the espresso done and just make your americano.

https://www.home.co.za/pdp/breville-barista-express

I’ve since switched to a Rancillio setup that is brilliant but the Breville is still more user friendly.

The all-in-one machines from Delonghi etc I feel runs too hot and scorches the grind. I never got good crema out of it. Always tastes like plastic.

IOPS

Not a lot of options in the bean to cup range with your specs. A lot of them are overkill and include milk options. It's a nice to have, I break out and make lattes and flat whites when I have friends over, but most of the time it's just straight black coffee.

I've owned two Siemens machines, can't remember the first model, but the second model was this one. Can probably find it for your budget elsewhere.
Both Siemens machines have lasted me 3 and 5 years respectively. Easy to clean, makes good coffee and is reliable.

I currently own a Miele which is miles ahead and has added snob value :p

Here's another potential option you can look at.

If you do decide to veer off into another direction, grinding coffee beans and then using a drip machine is another option. Or if you want an initial saving and variety, Nespresso machines are excellent.
I'll add a +1 against the Delonghi, doesn't make very good coffee and they seem cheaply made. Bang and rattle around when it's grinding.

Get a Siemens, they're rock solid. If you want to spoil yourself a bit get a Miele free standing machine.

sand_man

Honorary Master
I have a Lattissima pro. Capsule Nespresso coffee. Machine cost about R6500 and the pods are not cheap either, about R8 per unit. Not sure how this would compare taste and cost wise to a bean to cup, but I'm really happy with the product.

It's push button so extremely convenient. Get a cup out in 40 seconds..

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Not a lot of options in the bean to cup range with your specs. A lot of them are overkill and include milk options. It's a nice to have, I break out and make lattes and flat whites when I have friends over, but most of the time it's just straight black coffee.

I've owned two Siemens machines, can't remember the first model, but the second model was this one. Can probably find it for your budget elsewhere.
Both Siemens machines have lasted me 3 and 5 years respectively. Easy to clean, makes good coffee and is reliable.

I currently own a Miele which is miles ahead and has added snob value :p

Here's another potential option you can look at.

If you do decide to veer off into another direction, grinding coffee beans and then using a drip machine is another option. Or if you want an initial saving and variety, Nespresso machines are excellent.
I'll add a +1 against the Delonghi, doesn't make very good coffee and they seem cheaply made. Bang and rattle around when it's grinding.

Get a Siemens, they're rock solid. If you want to spoil yourself a bit get a Miele free standing machine.
Been using mine now since 2013 and not a day's problem. Made 5000 cups already. The only hiccup was a Woolworths bag of beans that damaged it forcing a R2k service.