What else can I install on the Raspberry Pi?

Thor

Honorary Master
Hello, I have a raspberry pi that I want to set up at my parent's place (re-doing their network), just wondering what else I can put on it that might be useful.

Currently installed:
Pi-Hole (DNS + DHCP)
Python script to take hourly speed tests and write that to Dropbox.
Python script to mail me if the ADSL goes down (Pi has LTE as failover)
PHP scripts to mail me if any of the switches or network cameras go offline.
PHP script (Mikrotik API) to mail me if strangers connect to the WiFi.

Open for ideas, what else can I do on the Pi?

Network:
TP-LINK VDSL -> RB951 (PPPOE + CAPsMAN) (RB)
-------------------RB--------> Unmanaged Gigabit Switch (S)
-------------------S--------------------------> DHCP Server + Pi-Hole
-------------------S--------------------------> hAP Minis (CAPs) (H)
-------------------H--------------------------------------> PCs
-------------------S--------------------------> Uniview NVR
-------------------S--------------------------> Uniview POE Switch (P)
-------------------P---------------------------------------> Uniview IP Cameras

RB931 = 192.168.99.1
Main PC = 192.168.99.2
Raspberry Pi 3+ (DHCP DNS) = 192.168.99.3
NVR = 192.168.99.10
Cameras = 192.168.99.11 to 192.168.99.25
hAP Minis = 192.168.99.31 to 192.168.99.35

scudsucker

Executive Member
tvaddons.co with JAVStream will be a great addition.

You may need Kodi on OpenElec, though

aleksandar

Expert Member
Print server maybe.
I have two printers connected to Pi, one laser for larger BW documents and one ink jet color for odd jobs (actually now that it is networked it is getting bit abused).

agentrfr

Executive Member
OpenVPN server for when you are out of town?

I have my one connected to house cameras DVR. OpenVPN from anywhere allows me to check who is at the gate etc. while being encrypted too. Also prevents cameras from being forward facing to the net.

I also have an IR emitter on one of the GPIO pins and I can send an instruction to turn AC on or off and set the temperature before I get there (also if I forgot it on). Nothing cooler than doing that from bed xD

PhireSide

Honorary Master
If you don't have a static IP, you can assign the Pi to run your Dynamic DNS updater service.

Mine runs every ten minutes using a crontab entry, because my router doesn't support my specific Dynamic DNS provider.

You can also run Transmission-daemon on it if the high seas is your thing

EDIT: If your Pi has external SSH access, consider installing fail2ban to keep nasties away if you do expose your ports

mh348

Expert Member
PiVPN, similar installation procedure as PiHole.. It's basically an installer for OpenVPN

mh348

Expert Member
Print server maybe.
I have two printers connected to Pi, one laser for larger BW documents and one ink jet color for odd jobs (actually now that it is networked it is getting bit abused).

@aleksandar what software are you using for the print server?

Veroland

Executive Member

newby_investor

Expert Member
I use it for a SAMBA server on my local network so we can access tye harddrive from any device.

I also use rsnapshot for incremental backups to a second harddrive.
That works. I prefer to use Seafile / Nextcloud though because it gives me file history, and it's a bit easier than working through snapshots if you want to roll back one or two files. But each to their own ;-)

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I use it for a SAMBA server on my local network so we can access tye harddrive from any device.

I also use rsnapshot for incremental backups to a second harddrive.
Don't you find the 100mbps LAN to be too slow for general file server usage?

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
OpenVPN server for when you are out of town?

I have my one connected to house cameras DVR. OpenVPN from anywhere allows me to check who is at the gate etc. while being encrypted too. Also prevents cameras from being forward facing to the net.

I also have an IR emitter on one of the GPIO pins and I can send an instruction to turn AC on or off and set the temperature before I get there (also if I forgot it on). Nothing cooler than doing that from bed xD

Those are the kind of uses for them that I find incredibly interesting, have it do something physical or meaningful like that, not all this networking and security as its just software doing things for itself. If you have it controlling and or or automating all the things round your house for example, aircons, lights, blinds, gates whatever it becomes really incredibly useful and thought consuming.