What else can I install on the Raspberry Pi?

One that I set for the DNS server up on my router for the kids etc. and one that is less restrictive for my devices ;)
I see. Good point, I didn't think of this. So I suppose the DHCP automatically hands out the kiddie-friendly pihole as the default DNS and you can manually add the adult one.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Don't you find the 100mbps LAN to be too slow for general file server usage?
If I have to move a media file, I plug the hdd directly into the pc, then move it back to the Rpi.

Otherwise Its pretty snappy for general use, and it streams movie/series without a hitch as the transcoding is done on whatever client plays the media file.

Thay being said Im always keeping an eye out for something with more IO, and is within budget :)

PhireSide

Executive Member
If I have to move a media file, I plug the hdd directly into the pc, then move it back to the Rpi.

Otherwise Its pretty snappy for general use, and it streams movie/series without a hitch as the transcoding is done on whatever client plays the media file.

Thay being said Im always keeping an eye out for something with more IO, and is within budget :)
Ah yes, fair enough.

I recently replaced my Pi with an Intel NUC. It runs an Ubuntu Server VM with all my essentials on pretty well. A lot snappier too as I use it as my TV box for Netflix and Showmax.

Still waiting for a local distributor to bring in the Jetson Nano :(

Thor

Honorary Master
Is there still a use for print severs today (given all printers are basically network printers these days with wifi on some too.)

(my question does not apply to large office buildings, I understand the allure to have a queue that manage accros multiple printers.)

Also wifi printers in general are awful. I've never come across one which has worked reliably.
Even network printers tend to be more expensive, the entry-level ones typically don't have ethernet ports. Last time I checked anyway.

Veroland

Executive Member
I see. Good point, I didn't think of this. So I suppose the DHCP automatically hands out the kiddie-friendly pihole as the default DNS and you can manually add the adult one.
Yes thats it. Later I would like to get a DD-WRT enabled or likewise router for more control.