What Firewall should I use?

DanielGoosen

Banned
Hi there!
I recently installed Avast! and ZoneAlarm on the same PC but discovered a horrifying truth that they are not compatible... It freezes Vista instantly.
I still want to use Avast! But now I need a firewall....

Can you please recommend me on what firewall I should use?

I am looking for the following features in the firewall:
-Free firewall
-A firewall that can separate the TRUSTED zone from the INTERNET zone in Program Control. (Like ZoneAlarm)
-Compatible with Avast! 4.8
-Basically what I want is a similar firewall to ZoneAlarm

Thanks in advance!

Kuga

Expert Member
I used to use Zone Alarm. I swear by it. But there's no Vista 64 bit version of it :( So at the moment I am using ESET Smart Security Center, firewall and antivirus.

Rishalin

if you have the cash buy yourself a little Juniper Netscreen or Checkpoint SOHO :)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
...nothing wrong with Windows Firewall. You don't need anything else.

DanielGoosen

Banned
I installed comodo, but can`t seem to find the settings to allow an application LAN access, but deny it internet access (TRUSTED and INTERNET zones). If it has these type of settings, can you please help me find them?

I used to use Zone Alarm. I swear by it. But there's no Vista 64 bit version of it :( So at the moment I am using ESET Smart Security Center, firewall and antivirus.
I hear you! I also like ZoneAlarm... Unfortunatly ESET is not free...

This firewall has the same features of ZoneAlarm regarding Trusted and Internet zones, hope I get it to work... BUT Can you please direct me to the Free Firewall... I only seem to get the Trial Version.... tnx!

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
...nothing wrong with Windows Firewall. You don't need anything else.

LOL hacked in 60 seconds, useless rubbish,

Dude ZoneAlarm is the best, rather get a another AV prevetion is better then cure........

Asha'man X

Expert Member
Comodo is probably the most powerful personal firewall I've ever used, but it is quite complex to use properly. Also, the HIPS system while being very good at blocking software, is also very chatty, which can get annoying quickly.

Avast on it's own has a mini type of firewall built in, it's the network filter. It's not a full blown firewall, but I've seen it block attacks that Comodo let though...