What's 64-bit Windows XP like?

Threepwood

Been doing a bit of reading up on it, and I'm not so sure what the story is with it compatibiltiy wise etc. currently.

Apparently you have to have 64-bit drivers for H/W, so are those reletively abundant or not?

Would you say it gives any kind of performance increase over 32-bit, that would make it worthwhile getting?

The only real plus I know of is that it supports up to 128GB of RAM or something like that, whereas 32-bit only supports up to 4GB.

If I find any good articles or anything I'll post them here, if you know of any please post them up.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Been doing a bit of reading up on it, and I'm not so sure what the story is with it compatibiltiy wise etc. currently.

Apparently you have to have 64-bit drivers for H/W, so are those reletively abundant or not?

Would you say it gives any kind of performance increase over 32-bit, that would make it worthwhile getting?

The only real plus I know of is that it supports up to 128GB of RAM or something like that, whereas 32-bit only supports up to 4GB.

If I find any good articles or anything I'll post them here, if you know of any please post them up.
No real performance boost over XP 32...aside from the 4gb issue and perhaps tiny gains due to its server heritage.

Not sure about drivers, but I've seen XP64 driver links floating around on the major hardware manuf sites.

Thestealth

Expert Member
I've used it for some time and never had driver issues. Performance was good too. Would recommend it if you're looking for a 64bit environment. V64 is better though, in my opinion.

Asha'man X

Expert Member
The main problem suffered by Windows XP 64 Bit is that it never was received all that well publicly. I don't know of anyone who used it or even actually had a copy. The driver situation was pretty bad until fairly recently, as most manufacturers have since finally come out with decent working drivers.

However, it's almost too little too late, as Microsoft is far more focussed on Vista 64 bit now than it ever was on XP 64 bit.

If you need 64 bit, Vista is really the only way to go Windows wise these days.

killadoob

Honorary Master
xp 64 bit was so much faster than the 32 bit version

pity about the driver support, i like to use one OS for everything so having no printer and scanner driver killed it for me

loving vista 64 bit though