What's next?

MtraX

What, in your opinion, are the tech stacks or platforms to look out for in the next 5 years and why?

cguy

Executive Member
C/C++, Tensorflow, CUDA, Accelerators, Heterogenous Hardware programming (chips that have CPUs, Tiled SIMD grids/mesh/array architectures and/or FPGAs on them).

Why? Moore’s law is slowing down, the only way to get faster is going to be to very closely match hardware with the software.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
If you're in low level stuff, exactly what cguy said.

Otherwise if you're a web developer, JAMStack and PWA's is something to look into.

Why? The future of the web is mobile, JavaScript and API's. Every website is a web app and every web app is a website.

Last edited:

MtraX

If you're in low level stuff, exactly what cguy said.

Otherwise if you're a web developer, JAMStack and PWA's is something to look into.

Why? The future of the web is mobile, JavaScript and API's. Every website is a web app and every web app is a website.

We're heavily into e-commerce, API / Integrations work. C, Laravel, JS - I agree on the sentiment that native apps continue to have heavy competition from web applications. Never heard of JAMStack & PWA's (I'm not our tech lead thankfully haha), but I'll bring it to his attention to check out (if he hasn't already).

We need to be smart in the current economy. How are you guys experiencing the dev market?

cguy

Executive Member
We need to be smart in the current economy. How are you guys experiencing the dev market?

I get hit up by headhunters pretty much every day, but then, I am in the US.

This got me thinking. Every few months I would get an email from a recruiter in SA. Can’t say that I’ve had one in at least 5 years now.

r4nd0m

C/C++, Tensorflow, CUDA, Accelerators, Heterogenous Hardware programming (chips that have CPUs, Tiled SIMD grids/mesh/array architectures and/or FPGAs on them).

Why? Moore’s law is slowing down, the only way to get faster is going to be to very closely match hardware with the software.

Any ideas where to look for low-level programming employment?

I started out writing C/C++, ASM and HLSL in my teens because I wanted to do game development. Never touched the languages since then and I do the .NET/Java/JS route these days.

I really do miss the technicalities the low-level code brings, but looking in SA, I don't see many of them. :crying: Maybe I'm going about it all wrong.

cguy

Executive Member
Any ideas where to look for low-level programming employment?

I started out writing C/C++, ASM and HLSL in my teens because I wanted to do game development. Never touched the languages since then and I do the .NET/Java/JS route these days.

I really do miss the technicalities the low-level code brings, but looking in SA, I don't see many of them. :crying: Maybe I'm going about it all wrong.

It's a bit dry in SA on this front. Generally speaking, look for positions centered around Machine Learning, engineering, robotics, drones, simulations, High Performance Computing, distributed computing, GPGPU programming, FPGA/ASIC software interfaces, low latency computing & networking, real-time systems, performance engineering, etc. Also look for employers in Fin Tech, CSIR, Big Tech (e.g., Amazon), etc.

This one looks like fun: https://www.indeed.co.za/jobs?q=C++&l&vjk=764d381fbcb06f87