koeks525

Expert Member
Yoh MXit really is at the back now, and it used to be the **** a decade ago :D I use WhatsApp, only because its the only cool IM my phone supports.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Very predictable results. WhatsApp is the best. It's easy to use, requires no contact list maintenance, is free and everyone has it.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Personally IMs have gone separate routes:

- Skype/Lync
- Hangouts

These two also targets the business side, interesting to see comparisons, but it is worthy to look into their other uses as well. In my line, both Skype and Hangouts are used 24/7.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Typically my messaging needs are met 90% iMessage 10% Whatsapp.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
No mention of Google Hangouts?

Use that almost exclusively now.

Whatsapp and BBM both fail me as they are phone only option, while Google Hangouts works everywhere.

Skype works everywhere but has been quite rubbish on my mobile devices until very recently.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Facebook bugged me for a few days last week to install their separate messenger and then gave up.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
No mention of Google Hangouts?

Use that almost exclusively now.

Whatsapp and BBM both fail me as they are phone only option, while Google Hangouts works everywhere.

Skype works everywhere but has been quite rubbish on my mobile devices until very recently.

I'm wary of converting to Hangouts for messages on Android. How well does it handle sms? How well does it distinguish between IM and sms?

cfilorux

This message may be delayed until you return to a coverage area ...

Hangouts ... has a very annoying interface on a small screen. I'm not surprised it's not featured. WhatsApp has taken over work, family and the odd casual acquaintance. It's not going to be a happy day when it gets spammed though ... Ya, Skype. If they would stop breaking the sound (the sound!) that would be nice.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm wary of converting to Hangouts for messages on Android. How well does it handle sms? How well does it distinguish between IM and sms?

Wouldn't know. Don't have Android.

I would assume being their own product it would be just fine though.

Dade Murphy

Wish I could drop whatsapp for viber or telegram. The features are so much better, whatsapp is becoming outdated.

MGRobinson

WhatsApp and Hangouts are the two I use on a daily basis. WhatsApp is handy if you just need to send a message to someone, or have a little conversation, Hangouts handles my SMS's, messages and daily video calls.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Wouldn't know. Don't have Android.

I would assume being their own product it would be just fine though.

I've heard it's not as good as iMessage. I'll think I'll give it a try, if only to ensure Google backs up my smses.

Wish I could drop whatsapp for viber or telegram. The features are so much better, whatsapp is becoming outdated.

What features are missing in WhatsApp?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I've heard it's not as good as iMessage. I'll think I'll give it a try, if only to ensure Google backs up my smses.

You are talking about two different hardware platforms. So it's a bit hard to compare really.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
You are talking about two different hardware platforms. So it's a bit hard to compare really.

iMessage and Hangouts have identical purposes though. They handle sms and mms, and are meant to IM for free with contacts running the same app.

I've installed Hangouts on my phone and can confirm that it's pretty good. You just need the other contact to have Hangouts enabled and you need their Gmail address stored in their contact listing. The app is very clear about what type of message you're sending, and lets you switch easily.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yes but you can't receive SMS on an iPhone via Hangouts as you would in iMessage.

And I don't see an option to send Sms Either. Not on iPhone.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Yes but you can't receive SMS on an iPhone via Hangouts as you would in iMessage.

And I don't see an option to send Sms Either. Not on iPhone.

I'm not talking about Hangouts on iOS, I'm just talking about Hangouts vs. iMessage separately on their respective native platforms.

I'm saying that it seems that Google has copied iMessage very nicely for Android with Hangouts.