WhatsApp Web security flaw discovered

Executive Member
"Once the user clicks to open it"

Opening a virus does bad things? Gosh.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Actually, the real security flaw lurks in the warped minds of people who try to access other people's systems without their permission.

Ultimately, there are no technical solutions to the problem of human dishonesty.

It's exactly the same in the analogue world. You can barricade your house and add all sorts of barriers and bars. But while you have a way in, so too will the baddies. In the meantime, life behind bars becomes more and more cramped.

This problem will only get worse until we realise that the real solution lies in the values we have and the way they are instantiated in parenting, education, and social institutions. Morality and virtue requires formation. And until we tackle the problem at its root, things will just get grimmer and more unpleasant.

Last edited:

akescpt

Honorary Master
there must be so many dudes walking around oblivious that their wife is reading all their whatsapp messages.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
you know the best thing about telegram?

you dont have to use a browser version! you can use a stand alone desktop version.

and when these files get sent though, they open in browser, and guess what? the attacker does not gain access to your account!

though I have to say, the malicious file is very well disguised.

Daruk

Honorary Master
you know the best thing about telegram?

you dont have to use a browser version! you can use a stand alone desktop version.

and when these files get sent though, they open in browser, and guess what? the attacker does not gain access to your account!

though I have to say, the malicious file is very well disguised.
What makes you think the standalone version is not a browser version?

Arthur

Honorary Master
Like the NSA & CIA?
And all the rest of them ~ Brits, Germans, Russians, Chinese, French, Australians, etc, etc. At least they're less malevolent than the crooks who actually try to do real harm or steal your data for economic gain or just to wreck it.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Ooohh...
Kev, can we have an update on this? Perhaps an article correction??
It's pretty significant... and awesome news for Telegram.
Yip. Recognition that Telegram is a biggest competitor for Whatsapp.

BTW. I have never used Web version of Telegram. I would never do it in unsecure browser anyway. One vulnerability is fixed, but it can be couple more...

Now with official release of desktop application there is no reason to use it anyway.

@Keven. Please update article according to the right for reply principle and include link provided by backstreetboy.

Last edited: