WhatsApp will drop support for Android Ice Cream Sandwich

G.A.S

I'll be pedantic - but the article should probably be titled:
WhatsApp will stop working on these old smartphones operating systems
There are 2 examples given (Samsung Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab 10.1), but I'd imagine there are many more impacted? And yes ... WhatsApp uses very similar wording :-/

eg2505

Honorary Master
all those mobicell and cheapy chinese 256GB RAM phones will suffer now.

and this is why you root and upgrade yourself, if you plan to hang on to your phone for any length of time.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
What the **** is an ice cream sandwich? :oops:
Ice-Burg-Posters-A1_PolarSandwich-600x847.jpg

Swa

Honorary Master
Title is incorrect. Whatapp won't stop working on old devices. They'll just stop providing upgrades. Your old version will continue working till WA changes the protocol and makes it incompatible which will probably be never.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Title is incorrect. Whatapp won't stop working on old devices. They'll just stop providing upgrades. Your old version will continue working till WA changes the protocol and makes it incompatible which will probably be never.
Speaking complete bollocks as usual. That's not true at all. Whatsapp blocks you flat out.

1629972164580.png

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Android 4.1 was used on the Samsung S3. Mine died last year, but millions of them must still be around.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Android 4.1 was used on the Samsung S3. Mine died last year, but millions of them must still be around.
my old Samsung S4 mini was rocking Android 9 by the time I finally upgraded (LineageOS ftw!)

it would still be in use had it not been for the charging port that finally couldn't do it's job anymore

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
You sure that's a block and not just an informational message to warn you to upgrade if you want the new features?
Not my picture but yes. Used a Nokia E72 as a burner phone for some time.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
In a few years from now, an Android Ice Cream Sandwich will be a thing again, but more common.

Totempole

Expert Member
Speaking complete bollocks as usual. That's not true at all. Whatsapp blocks you flat out.

View attachment 1134546
This. ^^

Had a tablet running Android 4.0.1 or something like that. WhatsApp just stopped launching. Just froze on a white screen with the logo.

Tried to go to my app list to clear data and cache, but it had mysteriously disappeared.

Tried looking it up on the Play Store, but it no longer showed up.

"Tried opening it using a direct link through Chrome... "This app is not compatible with this device."

So on old versions of Android it just kills itself off without warning if you don't have automatic updates enabled.