- Apr 15, 2005
"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should therefore be regarded as a criminal offense."
E.W. Dijkstra in "How do we tell truths that might hurt?"
COBOL does not have all the computer sciencey baggage that other languages have:
- COBOL does not support object-oriented programming.
- COBOL does not support closures.
- COBOL is not a dynamic language.
- COBOL supports functional programming roughly as much as C++ supports object-oriented programming.
- COBOL does not support procedural recursion.
- COBOL does not have a built-in support for regular expressions.
You name it - COBOL doesn’t have it.
So get rid of all the cruft, and you'll only have what you need to get the job done!
COBOL -- When code is harder to read than to write.