Where is Koo butterbean salad..???!!!

theratman

Executive Member
Sousboontjies! They stopped stocking them and no longer supply them. The quality also went down rapidly and I had to put my own butter beans in the glass with the sauce to beef it up. I looked at all major retailers and online and found nothing. Spoke to the owner of a pick n pay who followed up with koo and they said they no longer supply / make it. A real shame as this was a braai staple.

It's the sauce that was so good, there is the Werda 3 bean salad etc but it's not a replacement.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Just spoke to the buyer, reckons as far a he knows they just ran out of stock and was not sure if it was a discontinued line..... suggested the WERDA as a replacement....

theratman

Executive Member
Just spoke to the buyer, reckons as far a he knows they just ran out of stock and was not sure if it was a discontinued line..... suggested the WERDA as a replacement....
Werda is nothing like it unfortunately :( if I could get my paws on the sauce then I'd happily put Werda beans in.

theratman

Executive Member
A mate picked up these at the CY market in Cape Town, I tried it over the weekend and it's very similar to Sousboontjies. Hopefully I can get my hands on a jar. It was around R55 iirc. IMG_20180923_160039.jpeg

theratman

Executive Member
Gentleman, in my quest to find a Sousboontjies substitute I came across this at checkers, for R26. It is very similar, the big difference is the sauce is not as thick unfortunately but its delicious never the less. Definitely worth buying if you're a fan. IMG_20181019_170916.jpeg IMG_20181019_170937.jpeg IMG_20181019_171222.jpeg

Arzy

Honorary Master

WAslayer

Expert Member
Gentleman, in my quest to find a Sousboontjies substitute I came across this at checkers, for R26. It is very similar, the big difference is the sauce is not as thick unfortunately but its delicious never the less. Definitely worth buying if you're a fan. View attachment 567323 View attachment 567325 View attachment 567327
Have been looking for this, but not found it in CPT just yet..

Disappointed that they use white kidney beans as opposed to butter beans, but will try it nevertheless, once I find it..

theratman

Executive Member
Have been looking for this, but not found it in CPT just yet..

Disappointed that they use white kidney beans as opposed to butter beans, but will try it nevertheless, once I find it..
Bought it at a checkers in Durbanville, the beans aren't as soft but still good. There were not many on the shelves though. Will defo buy more when I see them again.

WAslayer

Expert Member
Bought it at a checkers in Durbanville, the beans aren't as soft but still good. There were not many on the shelves though. Will defo buy more when I see them again.
Even as an Afrikaner, durbanville is too far into the boerewors curtain for me..

If I am on that side for some reason one day and will have a look, if you haven't cleared the stock..

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
A mate picked up these at the CY market in Cape Town, I tried it over the weekend and it's very similar to Sousboontjies. Hopefully I can get my hands on a jar. It was around R55 iirc. View attachment 558961
CY market?

Also aren't there contact details on that label for Shaun? Maybe a plan can be made for us here behind the Boerewors Gordyn?

Edit: Nevermind, Google is my friend. Found him on FB.