Which Car? New or 2nd hand?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
So my bro's buying a car, and he's listed cars he interested in...Us being pretty much clueless about cars. So.

Which deal/car do you recommend? Why?

New

1. Polo Vivo with risidual
2. Mazda 2 with risidual
3. Opel Corsa Essentia with risidual

2nd hand
4. Opel Corsa Sport 5dr (2009)
5. Ford Fiesta
6. Peugeot 307

All are around the same on finance.

Prefers new over 2nd hand, for a reason I don't kno. And reason he's going for risidual is to lower monthly premiums, he don't earn a lot. And the i10 or Yaris is not for him.

Voicy

Honorary Master
Whatever you do, don't let your bro buy from VW Barnes.

New is nice for a month. Then it's a 2nd hand car for all intents and purposes - but you sit with the payments. Residual is just another way of saying "I'm buying a car I can't afford."

The fiestas are really awesome. I personally drive an opel Corsa 1.8 GSi so I'm biased towards opel (previous car was a 1.6 GSi). Stay away from french cars if you don't have a budget and no stress about parts taking FOREVER.

Tell your boet to face reality...if you don't have cash for fancy cars (remember to factor in insurance / maintenance costs) then don't buy it!

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Whatever you do, don't let your bro buy from VW Barnes.

New is nice for a month. Then it's a 2nd hand car for all intents and purposes - but you sit with the payments. Residual is just another way of saying "I'm buying a car I can't afford."

The fiestas are really awesome. I personally drive an opel Corsa 1.8 GSi so I'm biased towards opel (previous car was a 1.6 GSi). Stay away from french cars if you don't have a budget and no stress about parts taking FOREVER.

Tell your boet to face reality...if you don't have cash for fancy cars (remember to factor in insurance / maintenance costs) then don't buy it!
Noted.

Well, personally I think there's non wrong with a 2008, 9 10 model.

crackersa

Honorary Master
personally i stay away from 2nd hand cars cause you don't know the true history of the car. having it serviced regularly doesn't mean it was never driven into the dirt. but as voicy says (especially since your bro doesn't earn a lot), stay away from residuals if you are of the lower income side (ok, he didn't say that but i added it).

Paul_S

Expert Member
Sounds like your "bro" is trying to purchase a vehicle he cannot afford.
If he can't afford to purchase the vehicle without a residual then how is he going to pay for comprehensive insurance?
Is he going to be one of those idiots who cancel their insurance and then drive around risking everyone else's vehicles?

The government need to make 3rd party insurance mandatory again.
No insurance = no vehicle license renewal.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I would find it hard to believe that a 1 or 2 year old second hand car is gonna have a list of problems as long as my arm. Cars 5 years and older will, but I'd be surprised if newer cars did.

I would go for a second hand, 1 to 2 year old, German, Korean or Japanese car, or a Ford. Ford Fiesta might be a good choice.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
My wife has only ever bought new cars but keeps them for 10yrs - for a 2nd car we would most likely buy 2nd hand. As per other poster, you don't know what happened with previous owner and if you cannot be without a car, then rather go new. Different story for 2nd car or something to go to the cafe and back.

Fazda

Honorary Master
For Pete's sake don't touch the Peugeot, unless he is willing to lose plenty of money.

As for new or used, I would go new, but then you all knew I would say that! :p

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Hey guys, I don't visit this section that often and I am in a similar position as the OP I thought I would ask a related question.

I am looking at buying a 2009 Ford Fiesta Titanium at around R150 000. I was wondering if you guys would know what kind of insurance I am looking at here.
Been driving for 9 years, since I was 18. This will be my first purchase, but have been using my fathers car for since working and my fathers car at varsity as well. It will be locked behind closed gates, but not in a garage.

Which of the second group of cars that the OP listed will be the cheapest to insure?

Paul_S

Expert Member
I was wondering if you guys would know what kind of insurance I am looking at here.
Depends on who you go with but using my accurate "thumb suck technique" you're probably looking at about R600 to R800 per month for comprehensive insurance.

Why so much you may ask.
Well the main reason is you have no history of comprehensive insurance in your favour.
The longer you have comprehensive insurance with no claims the lower your perceived risk to the insurance company.
Your dad's risk profile will not help your risk profile.

Which of the second group of cars that the OP listed will be the cheapest to insure?
No idea - best to phone around.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Depends on who you go with but using my accurate "thumb suck technique" you're probably looking at about R600 to R800 per month for comprehensive insurance.
That technique is good enough for me. I was indicated as the primary driver of the previous vehicle if that counts for anything, but I would be happy if it can be that amount.

wise_guy

Expert Member
Fiesta's are generally driven by women so I doubt they've been hammered,so yeah go for the Ford.
:D

Paul_S

Expert Member

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
personally i stay away from 2nd hand cars cause you don't know the true history of the car. having it serviced regularly doesn't mean it was never driven into the dirt. but as voicy says (especially since your bro doesn't earn a lot), stay away from residuals if you are of the lower income side (ok, he didn't say that but i added it).
Well yeah, that's another thing he said, that you don't kno what might break in the next moment.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Btw he's 23. And he says he sees no concerns on a "deposit at the end." Well I didn't think of any disadvantages. He's getting it insured for around R700 max, and car is max is R2k.