• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Which car?!??

genetic

Honorary Master
Except when something breaks.
This! BMW's are a pain to service outside of motorplan.

The N46 engine in my 1 Series BMW had to have its valve stem seals and guides redone at only 130,000km! Apparently VERY common problem among the E81, 87 E90 and 91...

Cost of that repair? R35-40k.

Tector

BMW E90 facelift 320D. Year 2008+
This will be a great buy. Should get it with fairly low mileage. Really not more expensive to maintain than most of the newer cars on the road. Servicing is actually cheaper. Great deal of power and if you drive nicely you'll get 15 - 18 km p/l long distance. By far the best engine BMW has ever made - no wonder it has been in use since before 2000 and still is in the newest 3.

inanabhay

Most of my driving is to work but I have two kids and a husband that I need to fit in it sometimes:giggle: thats why I'm looking at a car not a bakkie. What do you mean by road conditions?
As a family car that you will be driving all over South Africa, you need something capable for the potholes, speed humps, and, possibly some gravel as well.

My recommendation would be a new/ newish SUV/ MPV, with a 1.5 Diesel engine (minimum size)

Most people will tell you that a used car is cheaper - its not. They fail to calculate the fixed cost (Capital ) per km, multiplied by the number of kms driven already.
Also, you never know whether the kms on the odometer are genuine, and, the service history is accurate and, whether its been in an accident - too many shady people/ dealers

ForceFate

Honorary Master
This! BMW's are a pain to service outside of motorplan.

The N46 engine in my 1 Series BMW had to have its valve stem seals and guides redone at only 130,000km! Apparently VERY common problem among the E81, 87 E90 and 91...

Cost of that repair? R35-40k.
/sweats profusely

I haven't had major issues yet. I drive a 320i E90 and the car has been a darling for most of close to 250 000 km I've driven the car.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Things break in cars guys, No need to go back and forth arguing about it, that being said it Is at times a myth to say just because this is a BMW therefore it is going to be more expensive to fix when things break. Cars are generally expensive to fix, especially when you don't know your stuff and depends on the dealer to tell you what is wrong and what needs to be fixed.

handyman007

Things break in cars guys, No need to go back and forth arguing about it, that being said it Is at times a myth to say just because this is a BMW therefore it is going to be more expensive to fix when things break. Cars are generally expensive to fix, especially when you don't know your stuff and depends on the dealer to tell you what is wrong and what needs to be fixed.
Certain manufacturers are certainly cheaper to fix. I'm just saying a newer car (say a Toyota) of a brand not as fashionable as a German might be a better buy. You're driving experience won't be as good tho.