• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Which car?!??

GinaW

I'm looking to buy a car and can't seem to find something that fits what I need.
I drive 100kms everyday on open roads but up and down hill so need something with a bit of power behind it. Im wanting to spend up to R120000. With petrol and diesel constantly going up I need something that's fuel efficient. I thought the Ford fiesta tdci would be good but they're nearly impossible to find if you want used and way out of my price range new. I've been looking at Citroen but now see they've pulled out the country. I need some advice and suggestions.

Sumen

Expert Member
I'm looking to buy a car and can't seem to find something that fits what I need.
I drive 100kms everyday on open roads but up and down hill so need something with a bit of power behind it. Im wanting to spend up to R120000. With petrol and diesel constantly going up I need something that's fuel efficient. I thought the Ford fiesta tdci would be good but they're nearly impossible to find if you want used and way out of my price range new. I've been looking at Citroen but now see they've pulled out the country. I need some advice and suggestions.
I see why you want to get a Citroen, they are turbocharged, low mileage, good looking and within your budget.

You still will be able to get parts from a Peugeot dealership but I think the only problem you will have is waiting for body parts if you are in an accident, as they might have to import those, the other problem is resale value (if you care about that).

The other cars you can consider :

Renault Sandero(current gen)
Renault Clio ( current gen)

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
+1 for Renault.
They are very economical with their 0.9T, parts don't cost much and are readily available from many spares shops so you are not limited to crazy dealer pricing.

GinaW

+1 for Renault.
They are very economical with their 0.9T, parts don't cost much and are readily available from many spares shops so you are not limited to crazy dealer pricing.
I actually did look at them and spoke to a few guys that have stepways, all of them said they're terrible. Just the one hill I have to go up they have to be in 2nd to get 60kms. All of the smaller turbos seem to be okay on flat roads but hills kill your consumption.

GinaW

I see why you want to get a Citroen, they are turbocharged, low mileage, good looking and within your budget.

You still will be able to get parts from a Peugeot dealership but I think the only problem you will have is waiting for body parts if you are in an accident, as they might have to import those, the other problem is resale value (if you care about that).

The other cars you can consider :

Renault Sandero(current gen)
Renault Clio ( current gen)
I've just sold my BMW 325i a/t realise now that resale is really not a thing unless you want a Toyota. I'm going to go look at a Clio

Sumen

Expert Member
I've just sold my BMW 325i a/t realise now that resale is really not a thing unless you want a Toyota. I'm going to go look at a Clio
Just read your above reply regarding the Sandero, Clio has the same engine.

nazmo

you will find the 0.9 clio a bit underpowered for long driving with rolling hills. Im not sure what the 1.2T goes for. Polo Tsi ? though I doubt you will get for that amount either.

Cr419

Executive Member
you will find the 0.9 clio a bit underpowered for long driving with rolling hills. Im not sure what the 1.2T goes for. Polo Tsi ? though I doubt you will get for that amount either.
There is a trendline tsi on NTTVW's website for R129k that might be worthwhile.

Leo_

https://www.autotrader.co.za/used-c...ambiente-fpa-48ad378966e84ff986426a9515cb1b00

https://www.autotrader.co.za/used-c...ci-trend-fpa-8a81c73b658f7fb30165a978c90b439e

You can always negotiate a better deal on these two.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Except when something breaks.
Unless you drive a Tazz or a Golf 1 you are bound to have regrets in most newer cars when things go wrong, even the smaller cars like the UP or Picantos. My friend has a Jazz, CV joints are not sold as individuals but rather as a whole setup including the shaft, at close to R4k per shaft. You have more options of after market parts and solutions on that Beemer than in mist other cars.

GinaW

Is this strictly for work?
Family needs/ Space requirements?
Road conditions?
Most of my driving is to work but I have two kids and a husband that I need to fit in it sometimes:giggle: thats why I'm looking at a car not a bakkie. What do you mean by road conditions?

If you have another family car why not look at something like a diesel figo? Otherwise I think Hyundai makes a i20 in a diesel as well. Both should fit your budget well.