Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

Peder

Hobbit
I actually like the 15yr Glenfiddich more than the 18yr.

If you want an affordable and absolutely awesome single malt whisky (IMO) try a 10 yr Glenmorangie. I love that stuff and it's normally around R420 for 750mL.
What makes the 15yr better for you? I loved the smoothness of the 18yr.

What budget you looking at here and what kind of flavour profile, peaty, sweet, balanced etc. ?
I tried peaty and that was really not a good taste.
I think I like a slightly sweeter whiskey.
I had the Johnny Walker Black I think once and it wasn't too bad.
I know its an absolute sacrilege but I have a bottle of Jack Daniels Honey, and that is a nice whiskey, though it might be more of a liqueur than a whiskey

I think the most important place to start is to familiarise yourself with the difference between Whisky and Whiskey....
Just the "e" in the word :p

Praeses

Expert Member
What makes the 15yr better for you? I loved the smoothness of the 18yr.
It felt like it lost its edge to me, got much more flavour from the 15yr.

I tried peaty and that was really not a good taste.
I think I like a slightly sweeter whiskey.
I had the Johnny Walker Black I think once and it wasn't too bad.
I know its an absolute sacrilege but I have a bottle of Jack Daniels Honey, and that is a nice whiskey, though it might be more of a liqueur than a whiskey
I'm also not that much into peated whisky, wouldn't buy myself a bottle of it. Very light peat is quite nice though, and grows on you. It's an acquired taste I guess :)
Jack Daniels is not whiskey, it's bourbon. JD Honey is liqueur :p

Just the "e" in the word :p
Ready your pitchforks everyone!

Peder

Hobbit
Jack Daniels is not whiskey, it's bourbon.
What is the difference between a bourbon and a whiskey?

I had bains the other day and that was quite good, I am totally new to the whole whiskey game.

I never answered earlier my budget isn't much at this stage, still learning what I like and don't ideally want to pay for something I really don't like.

Praeses

Expert Member
What is the difference between a bourbon and a whiskey?

I had bains the other day and that was quite good, I am totally new to the whole whiskey game.

I never answered earlier my budget isn't much at this stage, still learning what I like and don't ideally want to pay for something I really don't like.
Bourbon is normally made from corn/maize, while whisky is made from barley. :)

Another main difference is that the Americans used highly controlled conditions for their maturation, while the Scots (maybe also the Irish) just store the barrels in large storage houses which are subjected to nature i.e. uncontrolled conditions. The Scots normally also use water from rivers/lochs which according to them, imparts some of the natural flavours to the whiskies.

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Bourbon is normally made from corn/maize, while whisky is made from barley. :)

Another main difference is that the Americans used highly controlled conditions for their maturation, while the Scots (maybe also the Irish) just store the barrels in large storage houses which are subjected to nature i.e. uncontrolled conditions. The Scots normally also use water from rivers/lochs which according to them, imparts some of the natural flavours to the whiskies.
It's about the purity and the very old traditions of having your own water on distillery land. No flavors can be imparted from water during the distilation process.

Praeses

Expert Member
It's about the purity and the very old traditions of having your own water on distillery land. No flavors can be imparted from water during the distilation process.
Tell that to the Scots. I've been to a couple of Scottish distilleries which claimed this. Also, doesn't necessarily come from the distillation process - most whiskies are 54% ethanol and the rest will be water - not sure if they use reverse osmosis though, as that will remove any flavours.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Tell that to the Scots. I've been to a couple of Scottish distilleries which claimed this. Also, doesn't necessarily come from the distillation process - most whiskies are 54% ethanol and the rest will be water - not sure if they use reverse osmosis though, as that will remove any flavours.
Oh OK. I understand what you mean. My apologies.

They claim the water adds flavor during when adding water for bottling to manage the ABV. I still very much doubt it though.

Praeses

Expert Member
Oh OK. I understand what you mean. My apologies.

They claim the water adds flavor during when adding water for bottling to manage the ABV. I still very much doubt it though.
You'll probably also get some volatile aromatic compounds evaporating with the ethanol though, but I'm speculating. They also claim that the shape of the stills influence the flavours - which I doubt, but they keep their dimensions of their stills very secret, so I don't know.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

Toxxyc

Expert Member

Praeses

Expert Member

First whisky club order: Arrived. Going to be a lekker tasting.

On the specials note - the American Oak I have here is on special on Bottleshop for today - R259. It's DAMN cheap: https://www.bottleshop.co.za/auchentoshan-american-oak-whisky/?utm_source=Bottleshop.co.za+Newsletter&utm_campaign=9c5ff795c5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_11_26_04_32&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6bf6392a78-9c5ff795c5-85791489&mc_cid=9c5ff795c5&mc_eid=07792128d1
Super cheap! Sounds like it has sweet aromas and aftertastes - can you confirm please? :D

Praeses

Expert Member
Haven't tasted it yet. Cracking this bottle (and all the others in the pic) on Thursday only.
Nice, let us know how they are!
I enjoyed my Glen Scotia a bit too much on Saturday, really an easy drinking whisky. I wish I knew more whisky lovers to have a proper tasting again. Will definitely drop by Whisky Brothers in JHB when I'm in the region again.

Dee96

What are your thoughts on the limited edition White Walker by Johnnie Walker? I see it is retailing for R1150 in SA but this seems overpriced?

Toxxyc

Expert Member
If it's anything like other Johnnie Walker whiskies, it's overpriced and "meh".