Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

Dolby

Honorary Master
Received a bottle of Nikka black for my birthday 2 weeks ago. Thought I’ll open that baby sooner than later... Now I’m thinking of locking it up!
Nice - now get the Red to match it ;)

Dolby

Honorary Master
There's a bottle of red at the Liquor City in Sunninghill. Around R800 I think.
Wow - that's cheap ....

Thanks for the headsup!

The Bellairs one is R1,300.00 already (they only have that one left)

Luben

Anyone spotted a bottle of this around Gauteng/locally online ?:
View attachment 605436
I've seen it at Bottega Cafe but their website shows no stock. I'm planning on going there on Sunday to pick up my bottles of Glenfiddich Fire and Cane, will look for it. Btw, the new bottling of the Springbank 10 is much better than the old bottling.

KantSnyer

I've seen it at Bottega Cafe but their website shows no stock. I'm planning on going there on Sunday to pick up my bottles of Glenfiddich Fire and Cane, will look for it. Btw, the new bottling of the Springbank 10 is much better than the old bottling.
Thanks, haven't tried the 10 yet will give it a go if I cant get my hands on the 12, seems to be readily available.

Luben

I look forward to your tasting notes.
I'm hoping they have a bottle open for purchase by tot so I can taste it before I open a bottle. I guess it's ok to have a Whisky at breakfast if it's for educational purposes.

Luben

I look forward to your tasting notes.
I really like the Fire and Cane. Sweet and peat, lightly peated with almost Sherry type sweetness. The rum influence is apparent but not overwhelming. I was pleasantly surprised, being NAS I didn't get any hints of younger whisky in there, no harsh finish. The nose is typically Glenfiddich, more towards the 18 year old than the 12.

I bought 3, gave one to my father-in-law. I will be getting more if they receive more stock.

Luben

Thanks much appreciated! Got a bottle of 56.3% ABV at the moment see this one is 56.5 so a different batch as well :thumbsup:
I've had a bottle of it but the old packaging and I don't remember the ABV being that high. It would be interesting to know how big the difference is between batches.

Naks

Expert Member
Finally got a chance to go to Dullstroom on a boys getaway weekend.

The tasting at Wild About Whisky was awesome, and to top it off, we had a shot of the Octomore... 208ppm. Amazing whisky, nearly caused a near-death experience for one of the people who doesn't really drink whisky DSC_0023.jpegDSC_0025.jpeg

Luben

Finally got a chance to go to Dullstroom on a boys getaway weekend.

The tasting at Wild About Whisky was awesome, and to top it off, we had a shot of the Octomore... 208ppm. Amazing whisky, nearly caused a near-death experience for one of the people who doesn't really drink whisky View attachment 609060View attachment 609062
Which version of the Octomore did you try? I think the ABV kicks a lot more than peat.