Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

Snyper564

Expert Member
Anyone else notice how heavy the bains bottle is, some premium glassware :) also the whisky didn't disappoint :)

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Regarding earlier discussion and for those interested I n duty free pricing, I just passed through Cape Town arrivals and took a snap of the small selection they have on the way out.

I hope they are okay and get most of the range in, there were a few people buying so I had to take my chances of a clear view when I could. I’ll post full size so you can zoom into the prices.

I bought a Bains 15 on group recommendation

Luben

Regarding earlier discussion and for those interested I n duty free pricing, I just passed through Cape Town arrivals and took a snap of the small selection they have on the way out.

I hope they are okay and get most of the range in, there were a few people buying so I had to take my chances of a clear view when I could. I’ll post full size so you can zoom into the prices.

I bought a Bains 15 on group recommendation

It's shocking how expensive duty-free is these days. The only thing that's decent prices look to be the Compass Box range if they're priced like the Peat Monster.

The Chivas 15 is robbery, you can find it normally at R600 or R500 on special for the 750ml.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
It's shocking how expensive duty-free is these days. The only thing that's decent prices look to be the Compass Box range if they're priced like the Peat Monster.

The Chivas 15 is robbery, you can find it normally at R600 or R500 on special for the 750ml.
Also what a boring selection...real run of the mill stuff.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
On a more positive note...

Placed an order with MoM on Thursday last. Order stood on my desk this morning!

Part of the order are these 2 beauties from Balcones, an amazing distillery in Texas of all places.
More details for those that are interested:

Luben

Part of the order are these 2 beauties from Balcones, an amazing distillery in Texas of all places.

Interesting that it's being called whisky. The first can't be called a bourbon but the second one might. A more interesting question would be is 'what is yard-aged', a cursory glance of Google doesn't give much info.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Interesting that it's being called whisky. The first can't be called a bourbon but the second one might. A more interesting question would be is 'what is yard-aged', a cursory glance of Google doesn't give much info.
That's because it is a Whisky? It is made with unpeated 100% malted barley and aged in several different types of casks.

The second one is 100% Corn Whiskey.

Here you can get all the info you need re. the "yard aged" question:

Snyper564

Expert Member

Dam thats fast. Imported im assuming? is customs etc all added when purchasing?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Whisky Wednesday in Checkers has Glenlivet Founders Reserve for R369. Anyone know their normal price?

Also my local store has the Port Charlotte gift pack with 2 glasses for R800. I suspect that is not nationwide though.

powermzii

Expert Member
Whisky Wednesday in Checkers has Glenlivet Founders Reserve for R369. Anyone know their normal price?

Also my local store has the Port Charlotte gift pack with 2 glasses for R800. I suspect that is not nationwide though.
That's a good price for the PC gift pack, Takealot had it for 850 sometime ago

Founders is usually around the 399/420 mark depending on where you find it

Prawnapple

Had some Teeling - Small Batch this weekend. It's strong, but delicious! I want to try the Single Grain next.

Quad

I saw the PC gift pack for R800 at a Checkers Liquor up here in the north of JHB yesterday so it appears its nationwide.

eehellfire

Executive Member

That 15y/o might be a litre?

But yes, Duty Free isn't cheap by any stretch