Whisk(e)y Lovers thread

axsis

Laphroaig - 10 Year Old Islay Whisky, is this any good?

Looking for something peated on Takealot. I have vouchers that expire shortly. It has been a while since I did something like this.

Personally I favour the 10yo Laphroaig over the Quarter cask but I'm weird with that.

Laphroaig is more medicinal/cigar-like while Machir bay is more coastal/campfire, at least for me, and a tad sweeter. If you asked me which I'd buy tomorrow at a good price, it'd probably be the Laphroaig (err I mean Ardbeg) but only because I have quite a few whiskies that are Caol Ila-esque at the moment.

I also really like Three Ships 10 which is slightly peated as already stated and tbh punches up there with some really good whisky.

Classic laddie is good but it's not peated whisky. I do feel it's a bit pricey for what it is. The glasses are pretty nice though.

Other recommendations that are on Takealot: Three Ships 5, Dewar's 15 (not peated but does have a bit of sulphur imo from Craigellachie which gives it a slight matches taste on the finish), Bell's Special Reserve (a tad underrated).

Reactions: McT

Spizz

Goat Botherer
One good thing about the global meltdown, Singapore airport has a lot of decent stuff on sale for 30-50% off. So I just picked up a bottle of Corryvrecken for R869 with a 300ml of one of the fancy Chivas bottles for free as well.

I hope I don’t bring anything else home :p

Snyper564

Expert Member
One good thing about the global meltdown, Singapore airport has a lot of decent stuff on sale for 30-50% off. So I just picked up a bottle of Corryvrecken for R869 with a 300ml of one of the fancy Chivas bottles for free as well.

I hope I don’t bring anything else home :p
OMW and sstay safe!

David101

Whisky Brother :love:

DELIVERIES
As of today (23-March), until further notice, nationwide deliveries will be free of charge, on any order of R500 or more. We expect this to remain in place until either further restrictions are implemented and we can't get orders dispatched at all (which we are anticipating), or the situation improves and our store and bar can operate unrestricted once again.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Whisky Brother :love:

DELIVERIES
As of today (23-March), until further notice, nationwide deliveries will be free of charge, on any order of R500 or more. We expect this to remain in place until either further restrictions are implemented and we can't get orders dispatched at all (which we are anticipating), or the situation improves and our store and bar can operate unrestricted once again.
I just grabbed this:

WB.JPG

Luben

I just grabbed this:

View attachment 805237

I got the set, can't resist a peated Benriach

Snyper564

Expert Member
View this email in your browser
WhiskyBrother
BUY ONLINE \ WHISKY BAR \ THE ONLY WHISKY SHOW \ EVENTS
IMPENDING LOCKDOWN
We're sorry to send out another newsletter so soon, but since the announcement of the impending lockdown this Thursday at midnight, we thought it best to let you know our plans and your options, to get whisky before the lockdown goes into effect.

To be clear, from Thursday at 6pm, our Hyde Park store, Morningside bar and online store, will be closed until the lockdown is lifted in 3 weeks' time.

Having spare whisky at home while we wait out the shutdown will be useful, so our team is ready to receive your orders which will be packed and dispatched as fast as possible. The trick is getting whisky to you before midnight Thursday, and that is dependent on where you live. Therefore, please note the following:
JOHANNESBURG + PRETORIA
For all orders destined for Johannesburg and Pretoria, your cut-off is 1pm Thursday. Any order placed before then, will be delivered before the lockdown. This may mean we will be delivering orders later than usual, but we're hoping you won't mind if it means you get your whisky.

Note: Our Hyde Park store is still open daily from 9am to 6pm (until Thursday 6pm), as is our Morningside Bar. So you can still visit these in person if you would like.
REST OF SOUTH AFRICA
For all orders outside of Johannesburg and Pretoria, your cut-off is tonight (Tuesday) at midnight. Since these orders are delivered using The Courier Guy we cannot guarantee they will arrive on time but we will do whatever we can to try get them to you, and based on historic delivery times, your chances look good.
20% OFF EVERYTHING
But wait, there's more... ALL WHISKY IS ELIGIBLE FOR A 20% DISCOUNT, on any order of R500 or more (excluding our new BenRiachs)! The promotional code can only be used once per customer and will be valid until Thursday at 1pm. Just use the following code during checkout and the discount will be added to your cart:
CORONAVIRUS-BE-DAMNED
A store-wide sale this big is a first for us, and to be honest, we hope it is the last as it is not sustainable. These are uncertain times though and the lockdown is going to have a significant impact on our small business. This promotion is to help us move some extra stock before the lockdown, so we can make sure we are still around after it with a fighting chance. Stay safe, be kind, drink some whisky and slàinte mhath.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
View this email in your browser
WhiskyBrother
BUY ONLINE \ WHISKY BAR \ THE ONLY WHISKY SHOW \ EVENTS
IMPENDING LOCKDOWN
We're sorry to send out another newsletter so soon, but since the announcement of the impending lockdown this Thursday at midnight, we thought it best to let you know our plans and your options, to get whisky before the lockdown goes into effect.

To be clear, from Thursday at 6pm, our Hyde Park store, Morningside bar and online store, will be closed until the lockdown is lifted in 3 weeks' time.

Having spare whisky at home while we wait out the shutdown will be useful, so our team is ready to receive your orders which will be packed and dispatched as fast as possible. The trick is getting whisky to you before midnight Thursday, and that is dependent on where you live. Therefore, please note the following:
JOHANNESBURG + PRETORIA
For all orders destined for Johannesburg and Pretoria, your cut-off is 1pm Thursday. Any order placed before then, will be delivered before the lockdown. This may mean we will be delivering orders later than usual, but we're hoping you won't mind if it means you get your whisky.

Note: Our Hyde Park store is still open daily from 9am to 6pm (until Thursday 6pm), as is our Morningside Bar. So you can still visit these in person if you would like.
REST OF SOUTH AFRICA
For all orders outside of Johannesburg and Pretoria, your cut-off is tonight (Tuesday) at midnight. Since these orders are delivered using The Courier Guy we cannot guarantee they will arrive on time but we will do whatever we can to try get them to you, and based on historic delivery times, your chances look good.
20% OFF EVERYTHING
But wait, there's more... ALL WHISKY IS ELIGIBLE FOR A 20% DISCOUNT, on any order of R500 or more (excluding our new BenRiachs)! The promotional code can only be used once per customer and will be valid until Thursday at 1pm. Just use the following code during checkout and the discount will be added to your cart:
CORONAVIRUS-BE-DAMNED
A store-wide sale this big is a first for us, and to be honest, we hope it is the last as it is not sustainable. These are uncertain times though and the lockdown is going to have a significant impact on our small business. This promotion is to help us move some extra stock before the lockdown, so we can make sure we are still around after it with a fighting chance. Stay safe, be kind, drink some whisky and slàinte mhath.
My cart already containing some beauties.

But I've been shopping there like crazy, so still hesitant to pull the trigger...:unsure:

Luben

I already have this one, although not peated.

View attachment 805407
I've had the Heterdotus Fumosus, 17 Year Old Solstice and Curiositas, Peated Cask Batch Strength and I've loved them all.
I've also had the 12 and 16 year old, although nice they didn't have the impact of the peated variant. The PX 15 year old is excellent, I just think it would have been better being peated.
I currently have a bottle of the 20 and 33 year old, still wondering whether I should open it and be disappointed.

Luben

Luckily I have more than enough...just hope my last order from WB arrives before lockdown starts Friday.
I only have about 20 bottles at home, I put about 170 bottles into storage with the planned house move. I need to stock up more before the lockdown.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I've had the Heterdotus Fumosus, 17 Year Old Solstice and Curiositas, Peated Cask Batch Strength and I've loved them all.
I've also had the 12 and 16 year old, although nice they didn't have the impact of the peated variant. The PX 15 year old is excellent, I just think it would have been better being peated.
I currently have a bottle of the 20 and 33 year old, still wondering whether I should open it and be disappointed.
I agree 110%. It is a bit sickly "sweet" for my palette.

I'm planning to blend some Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig into my next dram...maybe 25%.