Why 100Mbps is more than fast enough for your home

Kaine

Expert Member
have another article dedicated to the 1% why dontcha. got a 10mb line at home that works very well for two people, housemate streaming, and myself gaming. and yes, its copper. fibre, whats that? something I need to eat to be regular?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
What's with these articles lately?

First you don't need fast processors now you don't need fast internet. The more people that adopt faster/newer technologies the faster the overall technological progress will be.

ChocolateBadger

Expert Member
Anything over 20mbps I don't notice a difference. The only perks I get from my 100mbps line is 4k streaming and conveniently timed steam downloads. Otherwise that's it.

I have been tempted to make more use of cloud storage solutions now that upload times are drastically better.

Yuu

Executive Member

First you don't need fast processors now you don't need fast internet. The more people that adopt faster/newer technologies the faster the overall technological progress will be.

^^ this.

Am feeling sick after reading the article abit :crylaugh:.

Thor

Honorary Master

Thank god, I thought I was the only one.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
HD Skype call requires only 1.5 Mbps? Would love to see that in practice.

But I agree with the general sentiment, anything over 100 Mbps is overkill for most people. And anything over 50 Mbps is overkill for most smaller households.

Still nice to have the option though, and doesn't mean it should be taken away...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

Agreed, but for that to happen the price would need to be accessible to most. I think the point is to ask yourself if you really need it, at this point in time.

If you were paying R1,000 pm for uncapped 10 Mbps ADSL, should you be spending R1,500 pm on uncapped 100 Mbps fibre, if you could spend the same R1,000 pm on a 50 Mbps line which would likely be more than enough for now?

ronz91

Expert Member
reading this on a phone with an Edge connection. Do u really need 5mbps to browse? :D

whatwhat

Executive Member
Because on OpenServe 100MB you get 50MB upload, which means you can use the internet for things like DropBox/OneDrive etc as well.

If you are just thinking of the internet in terms of downloading, you are about 3 years in the past with your thinking.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
First you don't need fast processors now you don't need fast internet.
Well it's kinda true. True revolutions are kinda thin on the ground. If you think about it the last 2-3 generations of flagship phones are basically the same thing with marginal improvements on specs.

The classic example is an office worker. That word doc isn't getting typed any faster with a 2017 i7 than with a 2015 i3...really not even a little bit.

Anything over 20mbps I don't notice a difference.
Nah, bit higher. Below 50ish you still easily saturate it with say netflix and downloading in the background. That said 20 is a perfectly fine compromise...I just wouldn't call it "not noticing a diff".