Why do you use Internet speed tests?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Please tell us why and/or when you use Internet speed tests.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I regularly use speed tests to test my fixed and mobile connection.

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
Curiosity. When I used to play video games I would stress over latency. Since I don’t play video games it’s just one of those things you do so you can throw a snide comment to the effect of my WiFi at home is faster.

wombling

I used to use these to make sure I am getting what I paid for. Now my Eero devices do this for me and give me a nice report whenever I want to see it. Quite handy actually.

blowdart18

Use it for many reasons at home:

1. Determine if there is something wrong with the internet
2. Check VPN - sometimes VPN throughput is slow for some reason from the provider
3. Fault finding - sometimes download speeds are slow but line speeds are fine
4. Have LTE so like others mentioned, check line speed on different frequencies i.e 2300mhz

RuhanSA079

To see whether my crap internet is a bit slow, or faster for the day, and to enter competitions.
Also to test my VPN connection to my US-based VM. (Playing around with the OpenVPN config for optimal speed)
Mostly when I am at my parents, I also test there because they complain they pay for a 4mbit line, but dont know why DSTV Now buffers so much...(internet a bit slow) Maybe needs 6mbit line. Their ISP is an local wisp, so they can change the line speed in a click.

centurionguy

I use speed tests about once to a week to diagnose connection issues on our network. If the internet connection is satisfactory, then I may have to dig deeper into the users local connection.

Qrox

Expert Member
I'll usually run one if I'm not getting close to my max line speed when downloading.
I use it to try and see if its the provider I'm downloading from or if there is something wrong with my line.