Why load-shedding is back

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Why load-shedding is back

Eskom recently began load-shedding again after it was able to avoid doing so during January, stating that there is a shortage of capacity and a need to replenish and preserve emergency water and diesel resources.

Eskom announced stage 2 load-shedding on Sunday and Monday, following weeks of consistent power supply.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Despite bringing a number of generating units back online, when Eskom had to “replenish and preserve” emergency water and diesel resources, it had to go straight to stage 2 – shedding 2,000MW of load.
“Although a number of generating units have returned to service as per the 9-point recovery plan, regrettably additional units continue to trip. This results in a shortage of generating capacity,” Eskom said.
So maintenance was performed for over a month, yet nothing changed. Seems more like a cash grab.

I see no point in giving them more money if any extra money doesn't seem to actually improve the situation.

eg2505

Honorary Master
pigs can fly, and the sky is blue in late breaking news.

heard this nonsense before, starting to disbelieve anything they say, as when the elections are around, guaranteed no loadhedding.
or load roatation, or yet another fancy term for power cut, like electricity rationing, or electron shortage

eg2505

Honorary Master
And this is what happens when you have a bunch of clowns running the country...
surely you dont mean the most excellent, lord of all the fishes and king of all the beasts, dr Mohamed, most exalted and never wrong king Zuma and his merry men?

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
From the article:
“Although a number of generating units have returned to service as per the 9-point recovery plan, regrettably additional units continue to trip.
Like a scene that plays out in South African homes:
Power trips because Suzy dropped the hairdryer into the bath.
Keeps trying to reset the earth leakage but it keeps tripping... instead of trying to ascertain how it happened.
Calls in electrician to come fix "this bullshyte power" business.
"Sorry madam it was your hairdryer I found in your bath"

BrendanMc

Expert Member
surely you dont mean the most excellent, lord of all the fishes and king of all the beasts, dr Mohamed, most exalted and never wrong king Zuma and his merry men?
I do but one has to admit the rot started way before that. First it was rot, and has now has reached the stages of putrefying decay...

/dev/null

From the article:

Like a scene that plays out in South African homes:
Power trips because Suzy dropped the hairdryer into the bath.
Keeps trying to reset the earth leakage but it keeps tripping... instead of trying to ascertain how it happened.
Calls in electrician to come fix "this bullshyte power" business.
"Sorry madam it was your hairdryer I found in your bath"
Oh, that's why load-shedding is back, additional units tripped. I missed that.

access

Executive Member
could be the unions flexing their muscles. it could be kept quiet because of investment confidence etc.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
it could be kept quiet because of investment confidence etc.
Keeping quiet does nothing for investor confidence. They (business and government) are hard-nosed, and ask tough questions. The (voting) public are more easily fooled.