Why load-shedding is back

access

Executive Member
Keeping quiet does nothing for investor confidence. They (business and government) are hard-nosed, and ask tough questions. The (voting) public are more easily fooled.
meh i reckon appearing to have 'technical problems' sounds better than being held ransom by a disgruntled union workforce

they did "declare war" ..lol

HowTo

Expert Member
Words can't describe the meaning. The debt they talk about is to get rid of it don't think so.
They will only sink in deeper. Get my drift.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Strongly worded editorial on the Daily Maverick: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-02-12-eskom-the-terrorist-attack-from-within/

Koko is right. Except that, until his recent forced exit, he was the Top. Koko and the rest of Zuma’s kleptocrats form an unbroken, centuries-long tradition of South African elites who refuse to accept blame, or any accountability. The endless queues at taxi ranks, the R2-billion loss in revenue every day, the waiters serving empty restaurants, the dark school rooms — that’s all because of Koko, Brian Molefe, Ben Ngubane and their many fellow executioners.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Some of the politics of load shedding: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/art...f-load-shedding-the-worst-may-be-yet-to-come/

The reasons for the lights going out are complicated. But the current round of load shedding is likely to have a political impact. First, on voters during an election campaign, and second, on whether it will be possible to actually fix the utility. At the same time, it is becoming clear that there are well-organised, well-funded people who have an interest in thwarting the current plans to fix Eskom.

krycor

Honorary Master
Nah, it is nothing new. Also they are wrong about the voters. They will continue to vote ANC no matter what.
I think the real dealbreakers haven’t even started getting going ie the unions.

When they do, it will be epic. I wonder if elections will still happen as unions knowing they can take down electricity in SA with a short strike does not bode well for the ruling party just before an election. At the present rate we will likely have power outages even on Election Day..

Gordon_R

Executive Member
At the present rate we will likely have power outages even on Election Day..
Election Day will be a public holiday. Factories will be ordered to shut, so that we don't have load shedding...

Last edited:

Solarion

Honorary Master
That's how I read it.

Both Pravin and CR better start showing some teeth with these goons, we should have seen a few EKSDOM heads roll by now.
This is damaging the Anc and CR more than its hurting Eskom. When the lights go out like this people dont start asking questions about Eskom they start asking questions about the governments ability to lead.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
This is damaging the Anc and CR more than its hurting Eskom. When the lights go out like this people dont start asking questions about Eskom they start asking questions about the governments ability to lead.
Potentially true. This morning my char was chatting to my neighbour's char (in vernacular which I do not follow). She sounded pretty agitated, though the only bit I understood was "10.30pm", which was when power returned in her area last night. That kind of inconvenience gets people's attention, at all levels of the socio-economic spectrum...

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Potentially true. This morning my char was chatting to my neighbour's char (in vernacular which I do not follow). She sounded pretty agitated, though the only bit I understood was "10.30pm", which was when power returned in her area last night. That kind of inconvenience gets people's attention, at all levels of the socio-economic spectrum...
They can do two things - vote for somebody else than the ANC (hopefully NOT EFF) - or they can keep on voting ANC and have all the bad luck still.

Only time will tell.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
They can do two things - vote for somebody else than the ANC (hopefully NOT EFF) - or they can keep on voting ANC and have all the bad luck still.
A third option is low voter turnout or a "protest" vote, which may benefit opposition parties who can mobilise their key constituents.