Why SEACOM launched a consumer ISP

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Why SEACOM launched a consumer ISP

SEACOM recently unveiled WonderNet, a consumer fibre ISP.

WonderNet will offer uncapped and unthrottled fibre products with speeds ranging from 10Mbps to 1Gbps, which will not be subject to a fair usage policy or contention ratios, said SEACOM.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Layer 2 and 3 is anti competitive. Should not be allowed IMHO.
If they get transit over their own cable for extra cheap and there are no alternative then yes but most of Seacom traffic for EUW goes via WACS anyways.

freematrix

If they get transit over their own cable for extra cheap and there are no alternative then yes but most of Seacom traffic for EUW goes via WACS anyways.
This the provider who also stopped smaller ISP's peering with them unless they purchased traffic through them. They turn back the clock to the old days of anti competitive behaviour.

Pythonista

Wouldn't trust these people with the health of my best enemies. No thank you.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I saw Macrolan as having a strong WISP foundation (in their early days) and a strong corporate focus, so it is interesting to see them positioned as the foundation for a differentiated consumer ISP with a 'fibre heritage'.

That said I had a lost of respect for Macrolan and for Steve Briggs and look forward to seeing how this plays out in the (very competitive) residential market.