Why Vodacom is losing data customers

marine1

Honorary Master
Those numbers seem like absolute kak.
I'm sure the people leaving VC is much higher than they are admitting to.
Anyone still with VC must really live being ripped off

system32

Expert Member
This, Vodacom CEO Shameel Joosub said, was a result of the proactive reduction in out-of-bundle data prices, data usage regulations, and the transition between national roaming partners.
I would hardly call it proactive when by ICASA was forced by #FeesMustFall campaign to stop unethical OOB data practices.

op365

Dropped down to prepaid 79c per minute Vodacom package and turned off data on that SIM, after 10 years being shafted on contract.
Other SIM is prepaid Telkom with Freeme bundle.
Dropped my monthly bill by 75%.
Vodacom, you are to expensive

Reactions: DXL

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Let me put it in a way thats easy to understand.

So you say they are losing data customers which means they now have more spectrum available.
Now that they have more spectrum available they can reduce the cost of data as that was keeping data expensive.

But let me guess...something else will be blamed for high prices now?

krycor

Honorary Master
Too expensive
Only people i know using Vodacom is for dual coverage in household or best coverage for usage but in both cases the people use another network for data and begrudgingly on Vodacom due to data cost.

But hey.. spectrum with change the nature of the company to charge their customers a premium on data right ;) I still say we need to go the Indian and Tanzanian way.. set the cost and tell the CEO failure to comply = network licence going bye bye..

The_MAC

Executive Member
Only people i know using Vodacom is for dual coverage in household or best coverage for usage but in both cases the people use another network for data and begrudgingly on Vodacom due to data cost.

But hey.. spectrum with change the nature of the company to charge their customers a premium on data right ;) I still say we need to go the Indian and Tanzanian way.. set the cost and tell the CEO failure to comply = network licence going bye bye..
I use them because my company only has them as a corporate account provider.. :crying:

naasier

Too expensive. You might think that having a contract is cheaper- wrong. The contracts is where you get nailed with higher call rates/ per minute billing and less promotions.

Swa

Honorary Master
It was never a question of why. With devices consuming more and more data it's simply unaffordable to keep paying the same exorbitant rates for 5 years.

I don't welcome such regulations. It will have the same effect as with the initial cost of phone calls where everyone charged the maximum. There are other cheaper options. If you stay with Vodacom it's your own fault you're paying too much.

Bad1

Because vodacrap kept 1 gig of data at R149 for many years and still going with that price, the shareholders of vodacom are in euro zone, we South Africans have to keep shareholders in Europe happy with our weak rand, so you wil keep paying R149 a gig, port away from vodacom, vodacom reduced data contracts this year only, because of competition from Telkom big deals, and now vodascum worm has entered the competition to cripple affordable data for us consumers just like how vodacrap bought i burst, 1 gig of data 5 years ago isn't the same like today so why keep 1 gig at R149, that's 10 dollars for 1 gig, vodascum is mo different from the guptas, taking all the poor South africans money away to Vodafone Europe!

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Let me put it in a way thats easy to understand.

So you say they are losing data customers which means they now have more spectrum available.
Now that they have more spectrum available they can reduce the cost of data as that was keeping data expensive.

But let me guess...something else will be blamed for high prices now?
Spectrum requirement is a function of capacity.

Did you notice the reported 50% growth in data volume?

DXL

Expert Member
Lot of people i know have moved to Telkoms R10 a Gig Mo Nice but the roaming on Vodacom will turn customers away from it. So Vodacom can continue with their high prices.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I have a dual SIM phone and both Vodacom and Telkom SIM cards

I've yet to find a single place where my Telkom data is quicker than my Vodacom : my Vodacom data speed is always the fastest. I got 160Mbps+ once, which was pretty impressive

But - they come at a cost and I use my Telkom SIM for data 99% of the time because 10Mbps really isn't that slow for I need