Will lockdown be over in time for Christmas?

Will lockdown be over for Christmas?

• Yes

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 244 94.2%

• Total voters

Lupus

Honorary Master
I am fully vaccinated - but this over zealous push for vaccines is causing far more people to become anti-vaxxers.

Again - it is all about the numbers. With a global death rate of 0.064% any sane person will wonder "why this massive push for a vaccine?" what then follows is conspiracies and boom - we have a whole new wave of anti-vaxxers.

Each and every step governments take with regards to china lab flu has the opposite effect as to what they intended to achieve.
But millions could've died... I mean we know that masks and washing hands fixes it oh and you gotta be home by midnight.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Look, I would still understand that kind of naiveness back in March/April of 2020 - but at this stage if you still think this is a pandemic you are living under a rock.

Let's look at the numbers :
South Africa, population 62,000,000 had only 89,562 deaths = 0.144%
Globally, population 7,907,000,000 had only 5,130,000 deaths = 0.064%

By now everyone can see this is nowhere near as fatal as anticipated. In fact, we should never again in the future of the human race overreact to this degree. If/when the next pandemic hits there should be a threshold it should cross before such ultimately blunt instruments such as lockdown is even considered. I'm talking reasonable threshold such as it wiping out 10% of a population. But certainly not the numbers we are seeing from china lab flu.

And if they didn’t respond the way they did? Would it be 5% or more?

Don’t you think your evidence of the numbers being low actually supports the fact that it worked?

I do agree with you on the beaches and and similar bullshit specific to SA though.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
And if they didn’t respond the way they did? Would it be 5% or more?

Don’t you think your evidence of the numbers being low actually supports the fact that it worked?

I do agree with you on the beaches and and similar bullshit specific to SA though.
Excellent point. Yes most certainly lockdown kept the death rate lower - but at what cost?

How many died from hunger due to being jobless? Or resorted to crime? How much did lockdown attribute to the riots we saw in July? The long term collateral fallout will be far worse with many more factors I am not even mentioning.
Without lockdown there would be one surge in which all those prone to die from china lab flu would do so in one spike - then back to normal. At worst a few mild or hardly noticeable "waves" as the virus mutates while it faces a much more resilient population.

Even if without lockdown we faced a death rate 10x worse, that's still just 1%. For pandemic levels I'd say something needs to at least off 10% of your population - and china lab flu ain't that.

Still, very good point you raised.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Excellent point. Yes most certainly lockdown kept the death rate lower - but at what cost?

How many died from hunger due to being jobless? Or resorted to crime? How much did lockdown attribute to the riots we saw in July? The long term collateral fallout will be far worse with many more factors I am not even mentioning.
Without lockdown there would be one surge in which all those prone to die from china lab flu would do so in one spike - then back to normal. At worst a few mild or hardly noticeable "waves" as the virus mutates while it faces a much more resilient population.

Even if without lockdown we faced a death rate 10x worse, that's still just 1%. For pandemic levels I'd say something needs to at least off 10% of your population - and china lab flu ain't that.

Still, very good point you raised.

Oh absolutely it had many different knock on effects.

Just saying we’d never know how bad it could really have been so the numbers being low after the fact doesn’t mean it wasn’t worth worrying about.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord

Just saying we’d never know how bad it could really have been so the numbers being low after the fact doesn’t mean it wasn’t worth worrying about.
I retrospect it seems it was an over reaction - and the fact that we are technically under some form of lockdown does make many people question if there is ulterior motives. Sadly one that leads to the new bread of anti-vaxxers that I am rather concerned about. However, as you pointed out, at the time how could we know?

Not many people will agree with my approach to something like this, but it comes down to the fact that we all die in the end - this could just as well be your time. I fully live by "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad

If you want to know how bad it would have been... look at the townships. Do you really think they were masking and social distancing from March 2020?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If you want to know how bad it would have been... look at the townships. Do you really think they were masking and social distancing from March 2020?

It’s an interesting statement, but then I would argue by the very nature of their already hectic living conditions they are made of sterner stuff than the entire populace otherwise.

Again it’s hard to break down those numbers. Talking to my gardener people were dying left right and centre in the townships but that’s hardly a statistic.

You’d also be surprised how disciplined they are about masks. Certainly more so than the suburban white folk.

The townships are the most likely to listen to government.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
It’s an interesting statement, but then I would argue by the very nature of their already hectic living conditions they are made of sterner stuff than the entire populace otherwise.

Again it’s hard to break down those numbers. Talking to my gardener people were dying left right and centre in the townships but that’s hardly a statistic.

You’d also be surprised how disciplined they are about masks. Certainly more so than the suburban white folk.

Sheep? :unsure:

Lupus

Honorary Master

Not the ones I've driven thru, perhaps in CPT.

Thugscub

Executive Member

Bullshit.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Not the ones I've driven thru, perhaps in CPT.

I am referring to CPT yes.

But I’m sure perceivable it wouldn’t look like there is/was much compliance, but then I can easily say the same for the suburbs.