Will you live in a tiny-house?

• What is a tiny-house?

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • I prefer as big as possible.

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • I have too much stuff, it will never work.

Votes: 40 22.1%
  • No, I am not a hamster.

Votes: 46 25.4%
  • I would love to downsize and live in a tiny-house

Votes: 64 35.4%
  • Other, share in comments

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters

RedViking

Nord of the South
2 x 6m containers is a lot of floor space and they are tall, plenty space for shelves, keep everything off the floor. But the fact that they aren't particularly cheap after all is said and done makes them not too attractive.

Just moving them to site and anywhere thereafter is around R20k a container?

Once you get to grips with the simple borderline minimalist life, which is more mind over matter, then just having a space that's yours and has all the amenities to sustain life and has very low upkeep a penny drops, you aren't beholden to anyone, and you are very mobile.

Are tiny homes legal in urban areas in Sa including Cape Town?
I'm not sure in Cape Town. It is legal here in KZN, it seems anyways.

airborne

Honorary Master
I'm not sure in Cape Town. It is legal here in KZN, it seems anyways.
Are there any minimum requirements to build a home in urban areas in Sa, apart from basics like having signed off plans and using safe building practises/materials?

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
I love wood.... NZ the average cheap home is about 1700-2000$ per m² + GST. So expensive all over the world. Now probably even worse than before.

I guess I think to build wood because I imagine it somewhere either right on the coast or in the mountains. But yeah, most probably brick or block.

I would love a log cabin on the coast.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
2 x 6m containers is a lot of floor space and they are tall, plenty space for shelves, keep everything off the floor. But the fact that they aren't particularly cheap after all is said and done makes them not too attractive.

Just moving them to site and anywhere thereafter is around R20k a container?

Once you get to grips with the simple borderline minimalist life, which is more mind over matter, then just having a space that's yours and has all the amenities to sustain life and has very low upkeep a penny drops, you aren't beholden to anyone, and you are very mobile.

Are tiny homes legal in urban areas in Sa including Cape Town?

Containers have structural problems when you start chopping them up. I was a bit bummed out when I discovered that problem. I do find this statement rather a one-sided view as there seems to be self-interest in downplaying the problems or overstating the problems.

The internal measurements don't make them suitable for a living once you insulate them from the inside (for some reason nobody insulates from the outside). But hey, I lived in a Suzuki half load, a double bed size (132x188) and I thought that was roomy.

Putting up a tiny house in Cape Town is no different to any other dwelling, requires plan approval from CoCT - something 99% of homeowners are not aware of. For the same price, you can get a better quality tin shed custom built. Our building bylaws are well documented and easy to access online, but lots of reading. Don't trust any builder to keep up to date. My "master-builder" neighbour get's pissed off whenever I point out bylaw infractions in our neighbourhood as I'm the only person in 8 years to actually put plans through the City.

We do have some old caravan parks that have long lease options where you lease the land. Have friends living in one and I'm considering that as a holiday home option. You can only build with wood though.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Are there any minimum requirements to build a home in urban areas in Sa, apart from basics like having signed off plans and using safe building practises/materials?
This is bylaws specific. Some areas and lots and developments might give a minimum size a house must be. We don't have laws that limits the size of living areas (to my knowledge) to make them "humane", such as NZ and AUS. In NZ and AUS living areas have to be a min. size to be qualify as permanent residence. So as long as the municipality allows for it, you can build it.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master

SANS building regulations focus heavily on mental health with natural light, ceiling height and space. RDP houses are exempt from a lot of building standards as they are solving a different problem.

Your local planning department and bylaws will add their own requirements on top of the national building regulations.

I feel people confuse minimalist living with tiny house as they are not really the same. My personal goal is to retire as a minimalist in a comfortable house, one with space and simple design for upkeep. A big garden for an outdoor braai is more important than a big lounge.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
It is not so much the houses that are exempt but the informal areas have little to not rules.

True and I found out that is why the developers give them as little space possible to extend their homes.

CoCT for one just does not have the resources to enforce building regulations as I experienced with a departure order I applied for.

airborne

Honorary Master
SANS building regulations focus heavily on mental health with natural light, ceiling height and space. RDP houses are exempt from a lot of building standards as they are solving a different problem.

Your local planning department and bylaws will add their own requirements on top of the national building regulations.

I feel people confuse minimalist living with tiny house as they are not really the same. My personal goal is to retire as a minimalist in a comfortable house, one with space and simple design for upkeep. A big garden for an outdoor braai is more important than a big lounge.

But you can't live in a tiny house without being a borderline minimalist, or else it's just not feasible?

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
But you can't live in a tiny house without being a borderline minimalist, or else it's just not feasible?

You would expect that:

1 - Why most people fail the Tiny House lifestyle.

2 - Why most Tiny House owners camp out in their parent's huge property with 20 bedroom houses, notice that trend on TV shows.

3 - Why Tiny House people own trailers and use lock-and-go storage.

4 - Why Tiny House living in caravan parks look like dumps with long term tenants.

5 - Tiny House owners want everything, including the kitchen sink in their homes and a baby grand piano, but they don't want to live with less.

Sadly the whole Tiny House movement has really killed what it is all about, minimalism and a smaller footprint.

RedViking

Nord of the South