Will you live in a tiny-house?

• What is a tiny-house?

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • I prefer as big as possible.

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • I have too much stuff, it will never work.

Votes: 40 22.1%
  • No, I am not a hamster.

Votes: 46 25.4%
  • I would love to downsize and live in a tiny-house

Votes: 64 35.4%
  • Other, share in comments

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Yeah, as a student I lived in a small place (can't remember the exact size, but let's guess 50-60m2). Adding any furniture or anything new was pretty complicated.

With CBD apartments going to 32m2, it becomes very pod-like living these days.

The difference of doing it as a student/young adult is that it's a stage of your life, but for someone who is starting a family, good luck on that.

I have a hobby that can be done on a TV tray but as my one friend pointed out when she lived out of a suitcase in the UK for a few years is that it frustrated her that she could not build up hobby tools.

This is why Tiny House living makes the mistake of shifting where you keep your stuff instead of just living with less. Many of the Tiny House minimalists create an insane amount of waste with the popular approach of can I replace it in 10 minutes with $10 rule - that is toss it if it's cheap to replace when I need it next, and toss that away.

With the majority of this country living in Tiny Homes, I do feel it is possible but I don't think we should draw inspiration of northern hemisphere countries on how to.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Well our new place has a footprint of 36 sqm...

Granted it has three storeys so closer to 100, but compared to what we had in SA, it's a tiny house!

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yeah, as a student I lived in a small place (can't remember the exact size, but let's guess 50-60m2). Adding any furniture or anything new was pretty complicated.
I lived in a 55sqm townhouse when I was younger, it was a "2" bedroom, but it was okay for 2 people, anymore and yeah. We had a 32" TV, we had a 3 seater couch, we had a double bed in the bedroom (it was tight though). Also 2 desks and 2 PCs in the small secondary bedroom, granted only lived like that for 6 months before moving to about 100sqm.

Farmerj

R32000 for a basic caravan "tiny house".

Caravan - R20000
Slab and roof - R12000

I think this is a very clever way to make a decent living space for a single person.

IMG_20210713_124506.jpg

L-Dog

Expert Member
Curranty renting a small a the only issue is I need more storage space for my (bicycle, golf clubs etc) and the kitchen needs way more counter space... Appears to be a common problem in smaller spaces

airborne

Honorary Master
Curranty renting a small a the only issue is I need more storage space for my (bicycle, golf clubs etc) and the kitchen needs way more counter space... Appears to be a common problem in smaller spaces
I always thought the best solution to storage issues is having an awning/patio on one side. You can also use it as a workspace out of the direct weather for DIY.

A great external storage solution are the Addis rough tote plastic boxes or similar, you can leave them outside in the open and they don't leak a drop, even in hardcore downpours. Depending on your neighborhood probably best not to store valuable stuff in them but any other arbitrary household gear that takes up lots of space is good.

Last edited: