Windows 10 warns users not to install Chrome and Firefox

wizardofid

Executive Member
If you have an old PC.
Why ? Windows 10 is able to run on a 1ghz CPU and 2 gig of ram, So why on earth does it need to be an old or new PC. Fanbois are going to fanbois, I don't like windows 10 and have no intention of upgrading to it, I have a sealed license somewhere in a draw.

There is absolutely NO incentive to upgrade to windows 10 period, new GUI or DX12, whooo pretty, blegh !

Over-Dose

...I have a sealed license somewhere in a draw.
If you ever want to get rid of licence and want to donate it to someone, please consider donating it to me. I’d be more than happy to get it off your hands. :-D

AirWolf

Honorary Master
FNB’s Enterprise banking that uses Java. Don’t ask me why they use Java, but we survive with all the annoyances that the “security” they claim it provides. ‍♂
They moved us over to their new system that uses the app to authorise transactions. We used to use java as well.
About 2 months now I think.

ThreeThirds

Microsoft is making it more and more difficult for people to make non-MS apps the Windows default. They're hoping to complicate it enough so that noobs will just let it be.

Cius

Executive Member
What is amusing about this is 10 years ago MS was my go to evil corporation not to be trusted, then over the last 10 years that faded into the background and my view of them became more neutral with the focus shifting to companies like Google and facebook. Stuff like this suddenly re-invigorates my old anti MS feelings.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
This is a way to persuade you to use Edge! Figures are going down on Edge!
How so? Acc to the above independent tests, the figure are improving and Chrome is static? So are the other browsers. (all are moving towards complying with html 5 standards

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What is amusing about this is 10 years ago MS was my go to evil corporation not to be trusted, then over the last 10 years that faded into the background and my view of them became more neutral with the focus shifting to companies like Google and facebook. Stuff like this suddenly re-invigorates my old anti MS feelings.
Always have and always will be very suspicious about Facebook and Google, Twitter, etc.
MS --- works for me still.
This whole article is just a hype about nothing .....

Cius

Executive Member
Reminds me of a great joke that did the rounds back in the day.

"Have you heard, if you play a Windows ME disk backwards you will hear satanic messages. That's nothing though, if you play it forwards it will install windows ME!"

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Why ? Windows 10 is able to run on a 1ghz CPU and 2 gig of ram, So why on earth does it need to be an old or new PC. Fanbois are going to fanbois, I don't like windows 10 and have no intention of upgrading to it, I have a sealed license somewhere in a draw.

There is absolutely NO incentive to upgrade to windows 10 period, new GUI or DX12, whooo pretty, blegh !
DX12 is actually a big deal. Even without that, why wouldn't you want to be on the latest Windows? It's basically the same as before but with subtle improvements. There is no reason not to upgrade, especially when it was free.

wizardofid

Executive Member
DX12 is actually a big deal. Even without that, why wouldn't you want to be on the latest Windows? It's basically the same as before but with subtle improvements. There is no reason not to upgrade, especially when it was free.
Development enviroment is DX11 and will be for the foreseeable future for me, there is no need for nifty DX12 for me, in fact in 2016-2017 we had quite a massive argument in the hardware section about DX12 and supporting CPU needed.The Irony near the end of 2018 nothing changed and DX12 is still pretty much a niche with games supporting both DX11 and DX12.Additionally there are still very few DX12 exclusive games.Shadow of the tomb raider still requires at min a icore3 CPU and 2 gig ram.

You have to thank current gen consoles for that, as their development environment and tools is still DX11 for the most part.Considering I don't own a single DX12 exclusive game, my personal development enviroment is DX11, and good chance a fair number of tools won't work in windows 10.

There really is no advantage or need to upgrade to windows 10, and as long as app developers still support windows 7, I am quite happy to stay right where I am.It's going to take at least another year to even remotely consider windows 10, Rumors are the next windows will be out next year, so will likely skip 10 entirely.

kripstoe

Expert Member
Chrome is just as annoying. Every time you use a different browser.

Clipboard01.png

Clipboard02.png

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Wouldn't use that: https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/18/opera-browser-sold-to-a-chinese-consortium-for-600-million/

Development enviroment is DX11 and will be for the foreseeable future for me, there is no need for nifty DX12 for me, in fact in 2016-2017 we had quite a massive argument in the hardware section about DX12 and supporting CPU needed.The Irony near the end of 2018 nothing changed and DX12 is still pretty much a niche with games supporting both DX11 and DX12.Additionally there are still very few DX12 exclusive games.Shadow of the tomb raider still requires at min a icore3 CPU and 2 gig ram.

You have to thank current gen consoles for that, as their development environment and tools is still DX11 for the most part.Considering I don't own a single DX12 exclusive game, my personal development enviroment is DX11, and good chance a fair number of tools won't work in windows 10.

There really is no advantage or need to upgrade to windows 10, and as long as app developers still support windows 7, I am quite happy to stay right where I am.It's going to take at least another year to even remotely consider windows 10, Rumors are the next windows will be out next year, so will likely skip 10 entirely.
No. Windows 10 is the final version of windows, they just release major updates to it.
Microsoft is moving from a product-centric approach to a service-centric approach (small piece on what service-centric/customer value model is, and a MS blogpost on it).

And in regards to DX12, you'll see bigger adoption for it, it just takes time, same for DX9 to DX11.
I'd rather they went Vulkan as we could move gaming to Linux, but most games won't adopt DX12/Vulkan as there is no need if your game is not that resource intensive/CPU bottlenecked.
DX12 is having more support as e.g. the Unreal, Crysis and Frostbite engine all support it, for most game devs this means it will be baked in, but for those that don't, it's probably not worth adding it for the small improvements.
And take into account it takes years to develop games, most of those DX12 games are stuff that started development 2+ years ago, it takes a really long time to create a game.

EDIT: Just to add, if you look up Microsoft's revenue, it dropped in 2016, but e.g. cloud computing has increased/become a larger part of revenue. Also, net income was lower in 2015/16 has Microsoft made large acquisitions, like buying LinkedIn in 2016, etc. as a diversifying strategy that is slowly starting to pay off (a quarterly profit of $1.3bn for Q3 2018). They realize that the market is moving on, if Linux/Open Source programs/projects become good enough, then they will go the way of the dinosaur.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Chrome is just as annoying. Every time you use a different browser.

View attachment 555607

View attachment 555609
Just like MS, they promote it within their own software. It is not like you are going to recommend business away to a competitor, and neither do they prevent you from choosing the competition (or alternative).

As @Geoff.D said, the article is hype of nothing. What the hype did create is an abundance of product ambassadors for Google.

ajan

You can easily classify DX12 as dead on arrival - Even when you compare it to vulkan. no dev team has any incentive to use dx12 unless they being offered money or active development benefits.