Windows 11 will be able to run Android apps

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
interesting, so why wasn't this feature not working sooner, or when was it "theoretically possible" to have this working in earlier versions?
Ballmer%20Video-1.gif

konfab

Honorary Master
interesting, so why wasn't this feature not working sooner, or when was it "theoretically possible" to have this working in earlier versions?
HyperV runs Linux distros very nicely, way better than VMWare and co.
The real product to so speak, was to build a wrapper around it to integrate it nicely with Windows.

You can do the same thing with an x86 build of android right now:
https://linustechtips.com/topic/764366-guide-how-to-run-android-x86-on-hyper-v/

Like this:
Screenshot 2021-06-25 151044.png

It doesn't run perfectly, but that is probably because it is a bit hacky. The WSLg system I use daily runs Linux apps at pretty much full speed.

Last edited:

deesef

Expert Member
Some apps will be very useful on pc/laptop, for me the most useful will be Ewelink for Sonoff switches, Xiaomi for the vacuum and I prefer the Youtube music app over the browser version.
Home Assistant is free and it works great with Sonoff, without any flashing of custom software. You can use Ewelink and Home Assistant in parallel.

There is probably a plug-in for the robot vacuum cleaner.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Some apps will be very useful on pc/laptop, for me the most useful will be Ewelink for Sonoff switches, Xiaomi for the vacuum and I prefer the Youtube music app over the browser version.

Youtube Music has an app?

I normally just say "Hey Google play some X on speakers" and sound fills my house/car.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I tried to see I could - but seems I'm owned :/

I'll check my own PC later

1624618670060.png

Tacet

Expert Member
Home Assistant is free and it works great with Sonoff, without any flashing of custom software. You can use Ewelink and Home Assistant in parallel.

There is probably a plug-in for the robot vacuum cleaner.

Some of my Sonoffs are on Openhab (Tasmota flashed), but there are a few that I've kept on Ewelink. I should probably sometime see if Openhab has a plugin that's compatible with Ewelink - will save that thought.

Openhab does have a plugin for the vacuum, Xiaomi has a very specific identifier for the vacuum that the plugin needs. I got it once (it was a lot of effort to do so), and it was great to have it integrated into Openhab. Then the vacuum rebooted and got assigned a new very specific identifier. I was less than happy.

Youtube Music has an app?

I normally just say "Hey Google play some X on speakers" and sound fills my house/car.

Yep. What I like about the app is that you can play the song, basically seamlessly switch to the music video, view the lyrics.... The webapp can show the lyrics, but can't switch from music to video mid-song.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Yep. What I like about the app is that you can play the song, basically seamlessly switch to the music video, view the lyrics.... The webapp can show the lyrics, but can't switch from music to video mid-song.

Was sarcasm. :D

Have Sonoff + Youtube music and only interact with them via Google home (Dont use android apps for that)

Also have Home assist for incase the internet dies and that has web access :p

Attachments

• 1624630785588.png
    1624630785588.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: