Windows 7 - move user folder

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
Same as Vista...

Cut(don't copy) your user folder(c:\users\you) on the drive of choice.

You can also paste specific folders only (like music and downloads) the links will automatically update and route itself.

Claymore

Executive Member
Or right-click Documents or Pictures or whatever, Properties, Location, and Move.

bekdik

Honorary Master
Open explorer (windows + E key) you will see a new legend Libraries. If you click this you will see documents, open this and you will see Documents Libary and underneath this Includes: n locations. Open this and you can edit which folders are to be included in this library. Have a look at Learn more about libraries which is shown here.
Libraries: frequently asked questions
[This content is preliminary and subject to change.]
Libraries are new in Windows 7. Here are answers to some common questions about libraries.

What is a library?
Libraries are where you go to manage your documents, music, pictures, and other files. You can browse your files the same way you would in a folder, or you can view your files arranged by properties like date, type, and author.

In some ways, a library is similar to a folder. For example, when you open a library, you'll see one or more files. However, unlike a folder, a library gathers files that are stored in several locations. This is a subtle, but important, difference. Libraries don't actually store your items. They monitor folders that contain your items, and let you access and arrange the items in different ways. For instance, if you have music files in folders on your hard disk and on an external drive, you can access all of your music files at once using the Music library.

DJNgoma

Expert Member
I prefer libararies, you can link a whole lot of places without having to shift every file into a central area, but I presume carderne want a fail safe of his 3rd party data seperated from his system files.

Last edited:

bekdik

Honorary Master
Ya I've been making use of libraries on a laptop. With my main computer though, all of my data will be on the other drive. The only things on the system drive will be windows and applications. I do this is so that when I reinstall Windows I don't have to back up my files and everything.
Now I don't understand your OP! Surely all you need to do is create a folder on your D: e.g. D:\MyStuff and include MyStuff in the appropriate library?