Windows 8.1 UI fixes showcased

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
New Windows 8.1 search feature returns curated results...

Ahem, bringing mature content to the desktop.

MS is doing everything to “improve” metro, but is not yet providing the functional features so much concerned about like the start menu… They did “promise” to bring it back, but what if they decide to integrate that also into metro?

K

kingrob

The 8.1 update is gonna do for Windows 8 what the 3.1 update did for Windows 3 back in the day.

Damn, now I really really want a Surface tablet!

Allin

Expert Member
Pity MS not yet doing anything to improve the look and feel of Office 2013.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Lol .. no mention about the start button, but I saw it there... be it rather briefly... (@ about 2:13 on the vid)

Last edited:

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
Steps in the right direction at least, though doubt that I will use Metro any more than I am now...

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Yup, I was really hoping for some Aero goodness, but apparently tablets struggle a bit with eye candy and battery life takes a hit.
For eye candy on a PC/laptop/etc on must now go for third party theme apps. All cool in that regard.

What I don't like is the Modern UI itself. The touch tiles on my non-touch-screen ultrabook are fugly. But this is a step in the right direction. I'm glad MS got the message and did something.

K

kingrob

For eye candy on a PC/laptop/etc on must now go for third party theme apps. All cool in that regard.

What I don't like is the Modern UI itself. The touch tiles on my non-touch-screen ultrabook are fugly. But this is a step in the right direction. I'm glad MS got the message and did something.
I think the user experience will be completely different on a potent Surface tablet, hell, even very nice! :)

Can we buy Surface tablets (not the RT flavour) in South Africa?

Allin

Expert Member
I don't have a TechNet subscription anymore, maybe there's already a beta version out?
Nope - Q1 of 2014 I understand. Uninstalled 2013 and UPgraded back to 2010. Had enough of headaches caused by the blinding interface.

Last edited:
K

kingrob

Nope. Uninstalling 2013 and UPgrading to 2010. Had enough of headaches caused by the blinding interface.
Haven't used Office 2013 yet, but use Office 2010 64-bit Professional daily & must be the best Office I've ever used.

mcastudios

Argh I don't get why I have to use Metro on my Desktop PC. Even on my non touch Laptop it annoys me. I don't think this "one size fits all" method is working well. Windows 7 looks way better than 8 in my opinion. Windows 8 just looks cheap.

Nuro

Expert Member
I wish he would do the complete demo without a touch screen.