Windows 8: what can we expect?

RaptorSA

Expert Member
This is where Win 8 Beta would be shown : http://www.buildwindows.com/
As always Alastair Otter is completely un-informed about MS. What a waste of energy - go play with your Open Source junk.
Agreed. This entire article stinks of some anti Microsoft diatribe written by someone who was forced to comment on something they already hate.

If MS pulls this off we'll have the world's first OS capable of handling both a mobile touch interface and the usual OS we're all familiar with.
I'm holding off on buying any kind of "tablet" based platform just so I can see how this turns out. The current flock of oversized cellphones that everyone keeps punting just serves to piss me off (especially in the workplace, their slow and restrictive capabilities are more of a productivity hindrance than anything else).

Can't wait for the beta to start hitting the torrent sites! Asus Eee Transformer design + Windows 8 = PURE WIN

Last edited:

OMB

Mountain Man
This is where Win 8 Beta would be shown : http://www.buildwindows.com/
As always Alastair Otter is completely un-informed about MS. What a waste of energy - go play with your Open Source junk.
Shame, someone's got to do it ;)

The tiled approach is coming straight from WP7 (nice move from MS to test Win8 interface on mobile units first), no mention of rumours of X-Box/PC integration.

digitalp

Agreed. This entire article stinks of some anti Microsoft diatribe written by someone who was forced to comment on something they already hate.

If MS pulls this off we'll have the world's first OS capable of handling both a mobile touch interface and the usual OS we're all familiar with.
I'm holding off on buying any kind of "tablet" based platform just so I can see how this turns out. The current flock of oversized cellphones that everyone keeps punting just serves to piss me off (especially in the workplace, their slow and restrictive capabilities are more of a productivity hindrance than anything else).

Can't wait for the beta to start hitting the torrent sites! Asus Eee Transformer design + Windows 8 = PURE WIN

+1

LabAnimal

Expert Member

+10!!!

Elimentals

Honorary Master
I like the Idea, but must say I would love to see how its going to work out in the end. Reasons I reserve judgement:

I dont know how they going to handle 3rd party apps as you wont be able to run Photoshop or Crysis on a arm based Windows 8. There is no way in hell an application compiled for x86 will work on ARM. Microsoft themselves is a bit closed lip about this part. You will not even be able to emulate X86 on ARM so only way to do this is to emulate ARM on x86, and that will come at a huge performance dip.

The second part of the equation is what about the people that dont like the new interface, people love to customize their PC's especially gamers. I know you will be able to switch to the Windows 7 look vs Metro, I hope there is also hooks into the metro API to allow for custom theming. Personally I hate the blocky 8 bit look of Windows Phone 7 and yes I have a WP and Metro look is the only reason I actually hate the phone. Also dont get me started on the words that run off the page. For a dyslexic its pure hell.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I like the Idea, but must say I would love to see how its going to work out in the end. Reasons I reserve judgement:

I dont know how they going to handle 3rd party apps as you wont be able to run Photoshop or Crysis on a arm based Windows 8. There is no way in hell an application compiled for x86 will work on ARM. Microsoft themselves is a bit closed lip about this part. You will not even be able to emulate X86 on ARM so only way to do this is to emulate ARM on x86, and that will come at a huge performance dip.

The second part of the equation is what about the people that dont like the new interface, people love to customize their PC's especially gamers. I know you will be able to switch to the Windows 7 look vs Metro, I hope there is also hooks into the metro API to allow for custom theming. Personally I hate the blocky 8 bit look of Windows Phone 7 and yes I have a WP and Metro look is the only reason I actually hate the phone. Also dont get me started on the words that run off the page. For a dyslexic its pure hell.
Indeed, the points you raised are exactly the type of things I'd like more clarification on instead of those redundant and bland opinion based articles.
I think the crux of the whole thing lies in the way Windows 8 might or might not support "legacy" x86 apps. I'm not so concerned about the way Windows mobile UI currently looks and works, I don't have a Windows phone so you'll obviously know more about that.
To me that's something they can always change or adapt as time goes by (or hopefully, allow others to change through some decent API's..../EndDayDream).

I really do hope they manage to pull off legacy x86 support within acceptable power usage and performance parameters, not because I support MS beyond reason, but because it's something I could truly use.
What's woefully missing from a "hype" point of view from all the Windows 8 articles I've read is the observation that IF they pull this off somehow, their competitors are kind of screwed. You can always change, adapt, update or extend the functionality of the "mobile" aspect of their OS, but you can't just go from a truly mobile OS like Android or iOS to something that rivals Windows 7 functionality and the massive established application base behind it.

Even if they fail, there's probably still an upside to this... Apparently they've had to put a lot of effort into optimizing the Windows 7 code base (which most people will agree with, is already quite brilliant in terms of performance and stability).

Last edited:

Grep

go play with your Open Source junk

Junk? Really? Get email? 9/10 its opensource, go check a website, its most likely running on erm, Apache which is opensource. Do a search lately? Most likely a MySQL backend, opensource!

killadoob

Honorary Master
go play with your Open Source junk

Junk? Really? Get email? 9/10 its opensource, go check a website, its most likely running on erm, Apache which is opensource. Do a search lately? Most likely a MySQL backend, opensource!
Blah blah, next

Ooooooooo i love new MS OS's. Always lekka to mess around with them. Cannot wait. Does this mean direct x 12 and yet another gpu upgrade?

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Blah blah, next

Ooooooooo i love new MS OS's. Always lekka to mess around with them. Cannot wait. Does this mean direct x 12 and yet another gpu upgrade?
Well game developers are already up in arms about DX 10/11. Problem is that games developed for DX 11 needs a almost complete re-wright to be ported to Xbox.

Intresting read re: Direct X http://pcformat.techradar.com/article/does-dx11-matter-21-04-10

One of the key changes in Windows 7 – behind the fancy desktop dressing and pared down control panels – is DirectX 11. As the name suggests, it’s the successor to DirectX 10, Microsoft’s home grown API for software developers to interact with graphics hardware. It still builds on the codebase of its predecessor DX10 and because of this it won’t be available to people on Windows XP, but it will run on both Vista and 7. It’s not a huge rewrite of the code base, but brings a couple of really big steps forward when it comes to the GPU pipeline.
Complete article in PDF on the page. Oh I knew about the article thanx to Zinio and my "useless" tablet where I get my magazines delivered on before they hit the shelves.

Edit: Dam the entire section dealing with DX 11 vs consoles is not included Its Titled "Death of DirectX" :(

Last edited:

adrianx

Expert Member
If MS pulls this off we'll have the world's first OS capable of handling both a mobile touch interface and the usual OS we're [-]all[/-] familiar with.
Really? Wow, that's interesting...

TJ99

Honorary Master
Adding this to Windows 8 makes sense in terms of the evolution of hardware, even though most current users are still on 32-bit machines.
Utter crap. Who is still using 32-bit CPU's in this day and age? I don't know of anyone. There might be some really really old PC's somewhere but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of desktop,laptops etc use 64-bit hardware, even though a lot are using a 32-bit OS. I mean even the Atom and AMD Athlon NEO chips have been X64 for quite a while now.

adrianx

Expert Member
So you're not familiar with Windows? Jees, better get started then.
I'm all too familiar with Windows. Thank you buddy.

They'll probably add some of this goodness. Enjoy your freedom while Skyping! Skype isn't "open source crap", after all. Try some of their cloud crap too... and most importantly - enjoy! Nothing else matters. :)

Last edited:

snobee

Utter crap. Who is still using 32-bit CPU's in this day and age? I don't know of anyone. There might be some really really old PC's somewhere but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of desktop,laptops etc use 64-bit hardware, even though a lot are using a 32-bit OS. I mean even the Atom and AMD Athlon NEO chips have been X64 for quite a while now.
I think he is referring to users on 32 bit software still, even though he used the word "hardware" just before the statement. Well at least that is what I thought.

TJ99

Honorary Master
I think he is referring to users on 32 bit software still, even though he used the word "hardware" just before the statement. Well at least that is what I thought.
Well, he said "32-bit machines" so I assumed it was hardware. 32-bit software makes more sense though.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Atom CPU's found in netbooks are still 32 bit