Windows Phone 8 users experiencing problems

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Reboot/freeze might be an issue, but re: battery life.

Welcome to the world of true multi-processing. The more apps you run the quicker your batter will drain.

mister

Executive Member
I don't see what the issue is? Why is this surprising? As a windows user I am used to frequent reboots and crashes, infact I look forward to them as mini breaks in my day!

skimread

Executive Member
Apparently the NFC if turned on makes the phone very hot and drains the battery.
Seems like quality testing failed.

Toitjie

Expert Member
when using the word apparently to start off a insult/statement, it negates all meaning...

HBee

Expert Member
I had feared as much, and hope this can be sorted out with a small update.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
As a windows user I am used to frequent reboots and crashes, infact I look forward to them as mini breaks in my day!
Time to upgrade then - since Win7/8 I have never experienced a crash/reboot ever.

techead

Honorary Master
this just follows on from the negative experience I had with the Lumia 720... total garbage!

Mouse

Expert Member
:erm: Won't that be awkward
Indeed. He might even try to make me touch his blue screen :erm:

Time to upgrade then - since Win7/8 I have never experienced a crash/reboot ever.
And yes, I have experienced a blue screen on Windows 7, along with the usual OS slowing down over time, leading to a need to re install.

Rubberpigg

Expert Member
I have a Windows 7.5 Samsung phone.
It has never frozen or rebooted.
Smooth as silk.
And I have Windows 7 on my home computer at home which has never crashed, frozen or rebooted.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I have a Windows 7.5 Samsung phone.
It has never frozen or rebooted.
Smooth as silk.
And I have Windows 7 on my home computer at home which has never crashed, frozen or rebooted.
So you basically saying this does not happen, ever, to anyone, anywhere in the world or what are you trying to say?

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
this just follows on from the negative experience I had with the Lumia 720... total garbage!
As far as I know the Lumia 720 is still a concept device. This video was posted on the 14th of September 2012.

[video=youtube;R5bvwri0t3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bvwri0t3E[/video]

It begs the question. If you don't even know what the phone is called, how favorable was your view of the phone to start off with (if you actually owned it at all)?

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
Indeed. He might even try to make me touch his blue screen :erm:

And yes, I have experienced a blue screen on Windows 7, along with the usual OS slowing down over time, leading to a need to re install.
What crapware are you loading? Wrong to blame Windows - that's like blaming Merc for lousy engineering when you mix meths in the petrol.

Mouse

Expert Member
That doesn't seem to be the case when I use Linux or iOS.
Also, it should be pretty self evident if it was an app causing trouble,
yet every time I check, the PC is apparently idle as far as Windows knows.

What crapware are you loading? Wrong to blame Windows
Most of the software on my PC came from either MSDN (Windows, Office, Visual Studio, Visio, SQL server management studio)
Blizzard (Diablo, Starcraft)
or Steam (more games)

The only exceptions to this are:
Openoffice,
Pidgin,
Skype,
Teracopy,
Java,
PHP,
Charles web debugging proxy,
Microsoft Security Essentials,
All the popular web browsers,
Winamp,
VLC,
Adobe Flash & PDF reader,
ATI drivers,
Soluto.

Most of these apps have been prevented from loading when windows starts, the obvious exceptions being ATI drivers, MSE, Java and Teracopy.
Care to enlighten me as to which of these apps are causing the OS to kak itself?

that's like blaming Merc for lousy engineering when you mix meths in the petrol.
When comparing Windows to some car, I think it is more correct to use a Tata for that analogy.

Rubberpigg

Expert Member
So you basically saying this does not happen, ever, to anyone, anywhere in the world or what are you trying to say?
If you have semi decent hardware with up to date drivers, decent antivirus software and a legit Windows os with all the latest updates you shouldn't be experiencing blue screens of death, random freezes or crashes.
The last time I had a blue screen of death was when I installed Starcraft 2 on XP.
Found out that my CPU was overheating.
Put some software on my machine that controlled the speed of my cooling fan and that fixed the problem.
That was more than two years ago.

shooter_za

I've tried Windows 8 in a VM and for me - meh. It seems pretty fast though.

At work we use Windows 7 - dev environment and I've gone weeks without restarting my laptop (the same for co-workers). This includes going into standby (no hybrid sleep - just RAM) every night after work and over weekends when going home (so many programs and VM's running - who wants to reload all that every day)? I restart when Windows updates forces me to restart.

At home I run Server 2008R2 that I installed a few years ago. No reformat, no "slow down" BS. I've gone months without a restart (including standby). In my experience this version of Windows is damn stable.