Would you use this service?

Shayd

Expert Member
If you could register with a local company that had the rights to sell you TV series etc by the episode and charge you one of 2 fees, 1 fee if you want no ads at about R10 per episode and 1 fee if you are happy to have lets say 2 ads per 30 min at say R2 per episode would you happily never pirate again?

Think about it, it's a marketers wet dream, if you have my profile you can encode customer specific advertising into the series. No adverts for washing powder and crap you don't care about and you can drill down geographically so you could be watching an ad from you local spar. All they would need to do is have your profile.

I personally don't mind ads if they are for something I care about and there aren't thousands of them.

Anyhow the media companies can take it and stick it till they realize this isn't the 1980's anymore.

Oh and no bloody DRM, put it in and the deals off!!!:mad:

I would love to know what you guys would think about this. Please don't let this become another annoying anti vs pro piracy thread. Just tear my idea apart or modify it the way you would prefer it.

Last edited:

Shred

Expert Member
Company Rep
Yes I would pay R2 for an episode anytime, as long as I don't have to download it as I only have a 2GB cap.

Dompiet

If you could register with a local company that had the rights to sell you TV series etc by the episode and charge you one of 2 fees, 1 fee if you want no ads at about R10 per episode and 1 fee if you are happy to have lets say 2 ads per 30 min at say R2 per episode would you happily never pirate again?

Think about it, it's a marketers wet dream, if you have my profile you can encode customer specific advertising into the series. No adverts for washing powder and crap you don't care about and you can drill down geographically so you could be watching an ad from you local spar. All they would need to do is have your profile.

I personally don't mind ads if they are for something I care about and there aren't thousands of them.

Anyhow the media companies can take it and stick it till they realize this isn't the 1980's anymore.

Oh and no bloody DRM, put it in and the deals off!!!:mad:

I would love to know what you guys would think about this. Please don't let this become another annoying anti vs pro piracy thread. Just tear my idea apart or modify it the way you would prefer it.
All they would need to do is have your profile. This is the problem - Why do "they" need my/your/our profile ? To sell it to some Telemarketing company ?

Idea is good without having "our" details part :whistling:

Prof.

Great idea... especially the R2 per episode and customer-specific advertising parts.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Yip, sounds good, but how long are the adds? the real problem is BandWidth tho

tco21

Cynical Grinch
I think his figures are random guesses. dompiet, you obviously have no grasp on marketing concepts.

Kaufies

Expert Member
Erm, is this thing going to be legal? Are we going to have access to episodes as they are released (in the USA)? Do you know how expensive that will be?:eek:

wheunis

Erm, is this thing going to be legal? Are we going to have access to episodes as they are released (in the USA)? Do you know how expensive that will be?:eek:
Considering that the largest pay-access series channel in the US charges $9 per month...
It wont be half as expensive as you think.

R2-R10 per episode is actually quite the sort of margin one would be looking at for a single series.

Obviously the person posting the idea isn't going to offer this service in and of themselves. Theyre just (imo) opening up a debate of whether or not you would use such a service if it were available.
Obviously such a service would be legal in this hypothesis.

Pyro

Expert Member
Would I prefer 1 ad per 30 mins for 'free' vs no ads for R8/30 mins? Ads win hands down.

Would I make use of the service? Doubtful.

There's more to consider than raw price on a service. How wil distribution work? How are ads enforced? Do I need proprietary hardware/software?

Also - would marketing really consider R8 for a single ad worthwhile?

Shayd

Expert Member
Ok... a couple of replies. No I don't work for multichoice etc so I am not going to be offering it.:p

The purpose of this service would be to legitimize the pirates out there, make it too expensive and nobody uses it but it is not meant to cannibalize the DSTV's network.

Pyro the only way you would be able to get the new stuff from the states and europe would be to piggyback on DSTV's licensing and there is no way they would make it free.

Distribution would most likely be via adsl, the price of the of the bandwidth would be built in to the price of the episode. Remember it would be local so not astronomical. But my R2 number would probably be doubled.

I assume you would build something similar to the PVR as far as hardware is concerned for those who aren't tech savvy or want a simple access tool, for the tech savvy a simple login and download would make sense.

As far as marketing is concerned I can tell you that R8 per targeted, profiled advert is bloody cheap, for obvious reasons the would be sold in lots of like 5000+ it would make no sense to sell anything less.
As far as TV advertising is concerned I can also tell you that R8 per "eyeball" is bloody expensive, the advantage of this type of ad is being able to target individuals in a way nobody has been able to successfully before.

As far as you profile is concerned there would have to be a strict no selling or sharing of information agreement in place to ensure your details remain private.

What I am hearing though is not "this will never happen" but "how can this happen, how would this work" thats good it means there is definitely an untapped market out there.:D

davemc

Executive Member
I would gladly pay R10 per episode of the series I want, advert free.
300 000 ADSL users = R3 million a month.
(Bandwidth and hosting costs excluded)

Shayd

Expert Member
dave that is if everyone only buys 1 episode... dunno about you but I would probably look at about 3-5 seasons a month with adds.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
It's an interesting idea - but I think there'd have to be some persuading to get media companies to buy in without DRM. They'd argue that nothing is stopping you distributing it to all your buddies as well.

I'd take targeted advertising with pleasure. If it's something that I'd actually like and am in need of at the moment then it's all good. I don't need more Omo thanks.

Other considerations if it was download based (for those more tech aware) is bandwidth since we're in a country with caps.

Shayd

Expert Member
True about the DRM Antithesis but if you stick DRM on then pirates will just continue to pirate and they will get zilch which is a damn site worse. The issue will be trying to explain this to a guy born in the 50's or 40's as most CEO types are.

Pyro

Expert Member
I understand it not being free, I'm just looking from a different perspective.

Telkom media is/was probably trying to work a similar angle, and they could wangle it better because they could work in a bandwidth angle.