Xbox360 or PS3

Hamster

Resident Rodent
OK, so I'm thinking of buying one. So what I want to know is: which one?

If there is a thread like this (I'm sure there is somewhere): linky?

I am not a big gamer so graphics is not the most important thing to me. All I really care about is how long this thing will last me until I have to upgrade.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
This has been done to death... Here's a step-by-step:

1. Which system, if any, is predominant amongst your mates? Swapping games is cheaper than buying games, and online is better with friends than with 12-year old kids.
2. How much would you gain from having the PS3's Bluray player?
3. Online play on Xbox LIVE costs money (R300-odd per year); PSN doesn't. Does this bother you?
4. In terms of gaming itself there's not much to choose between the two. Have a look at each console's exclusives & decide which appeal to you more.
4. If the above fail in leading you to a decision, flip a coin.

ponder

Honorary Master
enigma243 sums it up pretty well.

I don't own a console but I know I would love the Uncharted games so if I ever had to get a console it would have to be PS3.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
This has been done to death... Here's a step-by-step:

1. Which system, if any, is predominant amongst your mates? Swapping games is cheaper than buying games, and online is better with friends than with 12-year old kids.
2. How much would you gain from having the PS3's Bluray player?
3. Online play on Xbox LIVE costs money (R300-odd per year); PSN doesn't. Does this bother you?
4. In terms of gaming itself there's not much to choose between the two. Have a look at each console's exclusives & decide which appeal to you more.
4. If the above fail in leading you to a decision, flip a coin.
Works for me :D

diabolus

Executive Member
Just an addition to enigma there.

Currently the latest "gimmicks" on these 2 systems are the Kinect and Move on the Xbox and PS3 respectively. The Kinect is definitely a "different" way of doing motion gaming than the Move, but costs alot more and are not necessarily the most practical.

If you want to have Wii like gaming, waving around a stick/controller then you need to go PS3 since that is what the Move is doing. This works well with shooters and such. It also works much better in a smaller room and from the couch. Kinect does not use any controller and tracks your body movements . Cool thing is, it can track your legs, arms, whole body in games and might even require you to "run" [as in lift your knees] in games, bad part is alot of games simply do not work that great with this concept : First person shooters being one of them...imagine using your hand to point and shoot vs. waving a controlling and pressing a button. You also need a fairly large open room without any objects inbetween you and the screen for Kinect.

So if you are into Dancing Games or Yoga/Fitness games, Kinect [Xbox] is certainly the "future" for this. If you just want to play Golf or Basketball by sitting on the couch and waving around the controller then you might want to consider Move [PS3] instead.

Last edited:

Carbon_Fibre

Expert Member
Xbox is easier to chip, which will tempt you, but then you'll get banned from xbox live. So go with the PS3

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Ooooh... something else I forgot - if you have girly-boy hands, get a PS3. The PS3 controllers are a pain if your hands are anything approaching normal human male size standards.

Primo

Xbox is easier to chip, which will tempt you, but then you'll get banned from xbox live. So go with the PS3
Nope.. PS3 is easier.. Cfw is so easy that u can put a usb in and flash the ps3 yourself.. takes 5min

MR.C

Expert Member
What consoles have your friends got for online play. ?
Blu-ray player will become a standard soon like all other formats, eg. Who still uses a vhs video ?
3D format already supported on PS3.

In the end its your decision but I'll rather support Sony instead MS.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It's a mix between Xbox and PS at work (my friends are more into PC games). I can't really see myself playing online anytime soon though. I must say, atm I am pretty much set on PS3 (probably because of GT5)

Rosaudio

First Officer
Value for money would be the PS3. Blu-ray, better games, 3D support and free online
360 has better online experience due to the fee, a better controller. You can chip it and Kinect.

All in all.. i'd say if you are a 'hardcore' gamer who enjoys excellent games , and have an HDTV, get the PS3
If you are the more casual type, often have parties and stuff, get the 360.

Or just get both like I did :D

MR.C

Expert Member
It's a mix between Xbox and PS at work (my friends are more into PC games). I can't really see myself playing online anytime soon though. I must say, atm I am pretty much set on PS3 (probably because of GT5)
GT5 was also my primary reason for getting a PS3.

D1RTY D4WG

Ooooh... something else I forgot - if you have girly-boy hands, get a PS3. The PS3 controllers are a pain if your hands are anything approaching normal human male size standards.
This was the deciding factor for me my hands start cramping after 20 mins with a ps3 controller. But you say you are not a big gamer, then having to pay for Xbox live might bug you a bit after a while it did for me. Which is why I'm planning on using PC hooked up to the tv from now on and using my 360 controllers - no fee, cheaper games, less limitations.

If I could have used a 360 controller with a ps3 I would definately have bought a ps3 its got the whole package in 1.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Fader4

Expert Member
Consider the fact that multi platform games are usually superior on xbox, black ops and crysis 2 being recent examples, ps3 however has some good exclusives.

Voicy

Honorary Master
GT5 was also my primary reason for getting a PS3.
Then be prepared to be disappointed. GT5 was nice, just not as nice as the build-up to it made it seem. Also, the top gear test track is meh. It's only available on special types of crappy races. Graphics and playability wise, the game is also inferior to Forza3 which came out in '09. 80% of my games are racers, I have both those titles and Forza3 comes out on top each time. My absolute favourite Xbox game has to be dirt2 though. All my friends who borrowed it agreed. (Forza4 and Dirt3 out soon!)

This was the deciding factor for me my hands start cramping after 20 mins with a ps3 controller. But you say you are not a big gamer, then having to pay for Xbox live might bug you a bit after a while it did for me. Which is why I'm planning on using PC hooked up to the tv from now on and using my 360 controllers - no fee, cheaper games, less limitations.

If I could have used a 360 controller with a ps3 I would definately have bought a ps3 its got the whole package in 1.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
Yeah I can't get used to my PS3 controller. The trigger buttons curve the wrong way, so it feels like my fingers are slipping off. The xbox controllers just feel so much fuller in my hands. I also don't have lumberjack hands.

Ok - so after that PS3 bashing, I'll be honest. I have both consoles, but I wouldn't buy the PS3 again if I had the choice. Not because it's bad, but because I don't use its only shining feature that much - the BluRay. If you do - awesome! Having said that ... the absolute beauty of the Xbox VS PS3 argument is ... there is no loser. Whichever one you decide to get will blow your mind! As long as you don't have the other one to directly compare it to, you will NEVER feel a sense of lacking something. Both are epic consoles for good reasons.

So in closing, all I can say is that buying consoles is like buying printers. You don't buy it based on the printer price, you buy it according to the price of the ink cartridges. Fortunately both PS3 and Xbox AAA titles are around R700, so no difference there, Buuuuut you will choose your console based on exclusives....and damn! Both have some awesome exclusives at that!

Halo/Fable/Forza/Mass Effect/gears of war

vs

Little Big Planet/GTourismo/heavy rain/uncharted/god of war, etc.

abzo

Honorary Master
I had an Xbox 360 from October 2008 - November 2010, sold it because I hardly used it except to play PES once in a while. Not completed any games on it. Got a PS3 in January this year & already completed 4 games. I dont know why. Maybe I use the PS3 more because I paid more for it?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Is the PS3 controllers really as bad compared to the Xbox360's?