You call 100Mbps fibre fast?

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
You call 100Mbps fibre fast?

Cybersmart CTO Laurie Fialkov is not impressed by the use of the phrase “speed increases” to describe fibre providers offering clients upgrades to 100Mbps lines for cheaper rates.

Thor

Honorary Master
Here I sit with a 40Mbps line thinking life is good.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Fialkov said many ISPs and fibre providers – including Cybersmart, MetroFibre Networx, and Steyn City Fibre – offer symmetrical speeds of 200Mbps.
Yet the caps offered by CyberSmart have nothing between 200GB and 500GB and the top-up rates are insane (R5/gig for 20GB, R4/gig for 50GB, R3/gig for 100GB). http://www.lightspeed.co.za/images/forms/FTTH Brochure Web.pdf

The base R899 product of 200/200Mbps + 200GB/1000GB is fine, I still don't like how they advertise it as 400Mbps when it's 380/20Mbps max with 200/200 default. Telkom could just start advertising their 40Mbps as 60Mbps and their 100Mbps as 150Mbps if we're going by the same definitions.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
It's 25x my current line speed, and upload is like 200X my upload. So I refuse to call this slow.

system32

Expert Member
It will also roll out free speed increases across its Openserve Fibre Broadband (OFB) access portfolio – 2Mbps lines will be upgraded to 4Mbps, and 8Mbps lines to 10Mbps.
Who has Fibre and only has a 2Mbps line?
It's like owning a Ferrari with a 2000 RPM red line.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
I'd be more than happy with a 5Mb Up/Down symmetrical connection.

For about 10 minutes after you got it, I reckon :p

20/10 is about minimum I would expect to be happy with...coincidentally, fiber is being installed in my complex as we speak :)

ScrnScrm

Expert Member
Here in Europe, 100mbps uncapped is the entry level service nowadays. You cant get anything slower. Roughly EUR25 (R400) a month. What do you get in SA for R400 a month nowadays?

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Here in Europe, 100mbps uncapped is the entry level service nowadays. You cant get anything slower. Roughly EUR25 (R400) a month. What do you get in SA for R400 a month nowadays?

Not all of Europe. Like in ZA, you get solid internet in some places and terrible net in others. Same with Europe.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

That's if you live in a city. Tried to get better than ADSL (not 2+) at a property about 25km from the capital city, gave up hope after 2 years. Western Europe.

EDIT: Just checked, seems one can now get VDSL2 at my address, pretty sure it's inaccurate/an outright lie so they can claim they cover everyone with it as they need to by legislation.

Last edited:

ScrnScrm

Expert Member
Not all of Europe. Like in ZA, you get solid internet in some places and terrible net in others. Same with Europe.

Maybe I should have been more specific. In the European country in which I currently live (i.e. not the whole of Europe :) ) the minimum connection speed for the whole country is 100mbps Fibre for fixed line. The whole retail market in the country is now on Fibre and they are about to pull the plug on the copper services which are currently being used only for govt legacy services (like traffic lights etc). I will add though - I travel extensively, and since July, LTE coverage over the whole of Europe is excellent and it is homogenised across providers. I pay EUR20 odd a month now for 20GB mobile data to use anywhere in Europe and speeds average around the 100mbps mark as well.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Maybe I should have been more specific. In the European country in which I currently live (i.e. not the whole of Europe :) ) the minimum connection speed for the whole country is 100mbps Fibre for fixed line. The whole retail market in the country is now on Fibre and they are about to pull the plug on the copper services which are currently being used only for govt legacy services (like traffic lights etc). I will add though - I travel extensively, and since July, LTE coverage over the whole of Europe is excellent and it is homogenised across providers. I pay EUR20 odd a month now for 20GB mobile data to use anywhere in Europe and speeds average around the 100mbps mark as well.

good for you lol

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I was watching a tutorial from this guy in EU and he was on about how these updates/addons were "small". Region of 250MB - 2GB. And he wouldn't pause the video to wait for the download.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Download at 20 MB/sec?

I don't think there's much benefit to having a connection faster than 100Mbps. It's obviously nice getting ludicrous speeds, but I've found that so few downloads actually run at 9+MB/s. So I wouldn't expect to actually get much benefit from gigabit connections other than with Steam, GOG etc.

And the world is moving to streaming anyway. 100Mbps supports a family streaming individually.