telkom

  1. Jan

    Sello Moloko resigns as Telkom board chairman

    Telkom board chair resigns Sello Moloko has resigned as an independent non-executive director and chair of Telkom’s board. In an announcement to shareholders on Wednesday, Telkom said Moloko stepped down due to workload reasons.
  2. Jan

    Telkom's revenue and expenses visualised - 2021/22

    How Telkom makes money — and where it spends money Telkom is South Africa’s third-largest telecommunications company, with a dominant position in the fixed-line market. Telkom was founded on 1 October 1991 when the Department of Posts and Telecommunications (DPT) was broken up into Telkom and...
  3. Jan

    SABC takes over TelkomOne and launches SABC+

    Goodbye TelkomOne — Hello SABC+ streaming service TelkomOne's streaming service has been shut down two years after its launch and replaced with the long-promised SABC+ streaming platform. The SABC previously partnered with Telkom to roll out TelkomOne in November 2020, through which it offered...
  4. Jan

    Telkom warns of 45% to 55% drop in profits

    Telkom warns of massive drop in profits Telkom has issued a trading statement warning investors that it anticipates a significant drop in profits in its half-year financial results for the period between 1 April and 30 September 2022. The mobile operator said it expects its headline earnings...
  5. Jan

    Vodacom and Cell C disappearing data tested on 3G and 4G

    Disappearing data on Vodacom and Cell C — 3G vs 4G A recent investigation from MyBroadband revealed that data still disappearings from Android devices on Vodacom and Cell C's networks, likely amounting to millions every month. Vodacom and Cell C explained that it was due to how 4G works on...
  6. Jan

    Vodacom rules in South Africa, while MTN and Telkom ensure the king doesn't sleep easy

    Vodacom dominates in South Africa There are four main players in South Africa’s R200 billion fixed and mobile telecommunications market — Vodacom, MTN, Telkom, and Cell C. Vodacom dominates the South African mobile telecoms market with a 43% share of revenue, followed by MTN with 26%, Telkom...
  7. Jan

    South African uncapped 4G and 5G comparison - 7 November 2022

    Uncapped 4G and 5G battle in South Africa South Africans looking for an uncapped broadband connection outside areas with fibre or DSL coverage now have plenty of uncapped mobile products to choose from. There are a myriad of uncapped LTE/4G products on the market, available from Vodacom, MTN...
  8. Hanno Labuschagne

    Telkom threatens to cut off Sapo over R225-million bill

    Telkom threatens to cut off Sapo over R225-million bill Telkom this week threatened to cut off communications services to the South African Post Office (Sapo) over an outstanding debt of over R225 million, Sunday Times reports. Sapo CEO Nomkhita Mona warned Telkom's enterprise service division...
  9. Jan

    The fate of POTS/PSTN and MPLS in South Africa

    Copper-based fixed-voice on the way out in South Africa — At least in some areas Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services are on the rise in South Africa and will likely replace traditional copper-based fixed-voice products like Telkom's landline telephone service. However, there are still...
  10. Jan

    South Africa's emergency responders hampered by load-shedding

    Load-shedding hamstrings paramedics in South Africa The effects of load-shedding go beyond inconvenience and economic loss, with the rotational power cuts also posing a risk to public safety. Emergency medical service (EMS) ER24 told MyBroadband that traffic caused by load-shedding can...
  11. Jan

    RCS messaging in South Africa - only MTN doesn't offer support

    All but one of South Africa's major mobile operators offer RCS messaging MTN is the only South African mobile operator that doesn't offer Rich Communication Services (RCS) messaging. However, it acknowledged that the technology is becoming more popular in the country. MyBroadband asked Cell C...
  12. Jan

    Telkom launching uncapped 5G consumer products in November 2022

    Telkom 5G consumer products launch date and details Telkom plans to launch its consumer 5G products on 17 November 2022, spokespeople for the company have told MyBroadband. The network operator commercially launched its 5G network last week in partnership with Huawei at a glitzy event in...
  13. HAL 9000

    Outlook not working with POP3 on Telkomsa email account

    A friend's mom is having issues receiving emails from her telkomsa.net account, when using Outlook 2007 (the only version of MS Office she has installed on her PC - she can't afford Office 2021 or Microsoft 365). Two weeks ago, it stopped sending outgoing emails when using smtp,telkomsa.net -...
  14. Jan

    A brief history of Africa's 30-year communications revolution

    Africa's three decades-long communications revolution and South Africa's contribution to making it happen — an outsider's view Mobile operations started in Sub-Saharan Africa before South Africa licensed three new operators but the level of investment interest in communications was very low...
  15. Jan

    50Mbps and 100Mbps fibre price comparison

    Fibre war in South Africa — with uncapped 50Mbps under R700 South Africans within the coverage of one of the country's major fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) networks can sign up for a 50Mbps or 100Mbps package at prices ranging from below R700 to around R1,000. These packages are ideal for the needs...
  16. Jan

    Telkom hits 1.3Gbps in 5G speed test demo at The Wanderers

    Telkom 5G network hits 1.3Gbps in live test Telkom recorded a speed test of over 1.3Gbps in a live demonstration during a launch event for its 5G network on Thursday. The event was held in partnership with Huawei at The Wanderers cricket stadium in Johannesburg.
  17. Jan

    Telkom announces commercial launch of 5G network

    Telkom launches 5G Telkom has commercially launched its 5G network, will soon introduce fixed wireless access services and has started testing mobile 5G on its network. During a media event on Thursday, Telkom consumer business CEO Lunga Siyo said Telkom has quietly been laying the groundwork...
  18. Jan

    Vodacom and Cell C still allowing their LTE networks to eat people's data

    Data worth millions of rands disappearing from two networks in South Africa A MyBroadband investigation shows that Vodacom and Cell C still have problems with data disappearing from their users’ sim cards. MyBroadband performed separate tests for disappearing airtime and data with SIMs from...
  19. Jan

    Source says MTN didn't walk away from Telkom deal over exclusivity demand

    Inside story of why MTN walked away from the Telkom deal MTN didn’t walk away from negotiations to acquire Telkom over exclusivity demands, a source close to the matter told MyBroadband. Earlier this week, Telkom informed shareholders that MTN ended their discussions on 18 October because it...
  20. Jan

    Telkom share price plunges after MTN drops acquisition bid

    Telkom share price tanks 24% as MTN bails on takeover talks MTN has walked away from discussions with Telkom over a potential buyout of the partially state-owned telecoms operator, sending Telkom's share price plunging on Wednesday morning. In a notice issued to Telkom shareholders, the...
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X