2019 Salary Increase

cguy

Expert Member
So been doing the maths and found this site interesting..

https://inflationcalc.co.za/

What’s fascinating to me is that if I put in my starting salary vs where industry standard was for an eng grad:

Actual: 2009 - 10k -> 2019 - 17k
Standard: 2009 - 25k -> 2019 - 43k
Msc standard: 2009 - 33k -> 2019 - 57k

Now what scares me is that a decade later, accounting for inflation I’m not earning that much better. While I do beat the inflationary values(had to job hop, swop cities, industries etc), it really does show/prove my point that a great starting salary point is more important than that dumb hr or recruiter will let on (though in their defense, they typically soc sci grads who don’t know much).

I also found it funny that when my gf gets a call from the UK about positions they ask her what her bracket she is looking at and it’s all good.. when they call me they ask me to lower it below standard rates. Wtf.
If you are just riding above the inflation rate, you are probably letting certain things slide. Specifically, your yearly increase should be greater than inflation, and your promotions should be much greater. Also, you should get promoted occasionally. Which hasn’t been happening? These are usually signs it is time to move on (I.e., the ideal time to job hop).

RandomGeek

If you are just riding above the inflation rate, you are probably letting certain things slide. Specifically, your yearly increase should be greater than inflation, and your promotions should be much greater. Also, you should get promoted occasionally. Which hasn’t been happening? These are usually signs it is time to move on (I.e., the ideal time to job hop).
cguy, I fully agree with you. It doens't help that in SA we had the lost Zuma decade where we slipped backward when the world economy moved forward. Confidence in the economy has not nearly recovered to where it could and should have been.

Cius

Executive Member
I hear about hundreds of retrenchments for every job offer I hear about these days.

Zophos

Well I was up for a 5% but left the company and and got a 20% instead. Sadly I do have to travel a lot for the new job, but having no kids helps a little to justify it to the missus and myself. Always some give and take I suppose. :)

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I have a question for those earning under inflation, why do you stick with the company if it now wants to pay you less for the same amount of work? Is your entire industry that badly done in that they all had contractions?

I think a poll should be added,
Something like "under inflation, not searching; under inflation, searching; over inflation, but searching; over inflation, happy; promotion same company; promotion via new company".

@cguy your 0% is US right? That's around 1.6% inflation, and your main income is shares, so the question there is if your shares improved in value above 1.6%.

cguy

Expert Member
I have a question for those earning under inflation, why do you stick with the company if it now wants to pay you less for the same amount of work? Is your entire industry that badly done in that they all had contractions?

I think a poll should be added,
Something like "under inflation, not searching; under inflation, searching; over inflation, but searching; over inflation, happy; promotion same company; promotion via new company".

@cguy your 0% is US right? That's around 1.6% inflation, and your main income is shares, so the question there is if your shares improved in value above 1.6%.
My main income is from bonuses (at my current job, I did get shares before, but that was 10-ish years ago), so what I get is what I get. Sometimes it goes up, sometimes it goes down, depending on how we do.