2019 Salary Increase

Jehosefat

Expert Member
Only going to find out towards the end of May or early June. Bonus pool for our division is flat (so I'm hoping for the same bonus as last year) and company directive is that overall increased salary cost can only be 5%. May have to fight with people about that because quite a few of my team members need and deserve much bigger increases... (I really hope my boss feels the same about me :p)
So increases went well. 7.3% for me, between 4.2% and 20% for my team. Bonuses, as expected, were basically the same as last year. I also got a nice top-up of my share options.

Great success all around

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
5.9% which is the highest it's been in over 5 years. But bonus was much lower, so overall about the same as last year.

Nopt!c

The norm, year after year...but change is coming. Watch this space!

jezzad

I have had 2% over the last three years.

I have heard we are getting 5% as a maximum.

It should be closer to 25% based on my maths.

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
Nothing. This year. Lol, and then the higher ups in the company have the audacity to say how well the company is doing???

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Got 6%..
The lowest in the last 10 years of working for the company.
Oh well, better than nothing!

Method

Executive Member
I have had 2% over the last three years.

I have heard we are getting 5% as a maximum.

It should be closer to 25% based on my maths.
I would look for another job if 2% was all they gave. That sets you back a lot considering everything else goes up.

jezzad

I would look for another job if 2% was all they gave. That sets you back a lot considering everything else goes up.
Yup Im at that point now. Couple options lined up. Going to give them a chance though.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
It's been hitting people hard for a while now. Sub-inflation raises are the norm, meaning everyone is worse of year-on-year.

Method

Executive Member
It's been hitting people hard for a while now. Sub-inflation raises are the norm, meaning everyone is worse of year-on-year.
Yep! I've also noted it at my previous company. Sadly, I had to move companies as I can't afford to just wait it out while my salary shrinks.

krycor

Honorary Master
So been doing the maths and found this site interesting..

https://inflationcalc.co.za/

What’s fascinating to me is that if I put in my starting salary vs where industry standard was for an eng grad:

Actual: 2009 - 10k -> 2019 - 17k
Standard: 2009 - 25k -> 2019 - 43k

MSc standard: 2009 - 33k -> 2019 - 57k
MSc standard: 2011 - 33k -> 2019 - 51k

Now what scares me is that a decade later, accounting for inflation I’m not earning that much better. While I do beat the inflationary values(had to job hop, swop cities, industries etc), it really does show/prove my point that a great starting salary point is more important than that dumb hr or recruiter will let on (though in their defense, they typically soc sci grads who don’t know much).

Another fascinating call people always ask about is doing a masters but unless your upfront value and speciality is sustainable you likely better off not doing a masters. Ie that 7k difference looks big but keep in mind there is 600+k lost doing a masters..

I also found it funny that when my gf gets a call from the UK about positions they ask her what her bracket she is looking at and it’s all good.. when they call me they ask me to lower it below standard rates. Wtf.

Last edited: