20mb Installation - Self Installation Information

Atomsk Killua

Hi Guys,

I am scheduled to get a 20mbs line from Telkom installed on Thursday. I have opted for a self installation, and have asked the agent at telkom what I would need to do this (eg equipment wise, router, cables). He has told me the technician will call me on the day or the day before to arrange and confirm.

I do not know yet if I will be getting an ADSL or VDSL line, and this is a problem as how am I properly suppose to install without the right router.

If anyone has done a VDSL or ADSL 20mb self install, I'd love some pointers.

Thanks

falcon786

Honorary Master
Unless you need faster upload speeds I would just get an ADSL router...they are cheaper and better than current VDSL routers.

I'm doing the same on my 20mb line currently since I don't upload much and the VDSL routers available when I got my line were getting lots of complaints.

Installation is very easy just hook up your router with power cables etc and then set it up with normal adsl settings and username/password that will be supplied to you by Telkom call centre.

I'm using the Telkom D2750u made by D-link and its working fine for me.

Mant1s

so you can use your normal router for 20Mbps line? now I'm tempted to get it :), just did not want to spend 1-2k on a router for it if I were to cancel the service after a few months.

Router I have is a TP-Link W8970.

falcon786

Honorary Master
so you can use your normal router for 20Mbps line? now I'm tempted to get it :), just did not want to spend 1-2k on a router for it if I were to cancel the service after a few months.

Router I have is a TP-Link W8970.
Yes,I was in the same situation as you and 6 months later I'm still using my old ADSL 2 + compatible router and its working perfect.I get about 16-17mbps download speeds.