25% discount on Telkom ADSL

skynarc

Yesterday, in an unrelated ADSL call to Telkom the woman helping me said that she sees I have an ADSL line installed and that Telkom is offering a special 25% discount on the line if I don't cancel my ADSL in a year.

I use my ADSL line every day for work so I took the offer.

Thing is, I want to know now why it is they are offering this? What is coming that is going to knock ADSL off it's horse that Telkom is so worried that they need to offer this discount?

ProAsm

Expert Member
Hell I wish they would offer a 25% discount to pensioners, shees I pay nearly 480 bucks a month and only 25 of that is phone calls.
This Telkom Adsl is become a very expensive exercise.

kooldude

Expert Member
I was offered that 25% as well. The catch is if you cancel before the 12 months then you have repay all the discounts.

Big Bean

I was offered that 25% as well. The catch is if you cancel before the 12 months then you have repay all the discounts.
That isn't much of a catch since you would have to pay that money in any case without the discount.

naeem

Expert Member
any number we can call to sign up for this? - cant see myself replacing ADSL in the near future. ISP's yes, but actual line rental - very unlikely.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Yesterday, in an unrelated ADSL call to Telkom the woman helping me said that she sees I have an ADSL line installed and that Telkom is offering a special 25% discount on the line if I don't cancel my ADSL in a year.

Thing is, I want to know now why it is they are offering this? What is coming that is going to knock ADSL off it's horse that Telkom is so worried that they need to offer this discount?

Its customer retention. I was also offered this when I went in to downgrade from 2Mbps to 1Mbps. I declined the offer to stay on 2Mbps with the 25% discount and they then offered it on 1Mbps.

I did not take it as I was in the process of moving into my new house and I was not sure if my address could have a line installed.

skynarc

Its customer retention. I was also offered this when I went in to downgrade from 2Mbps to 1Mbps. I declined the offer to stay on 2Mbps with the 25% discount and they then offered it on 1Mbps.

I did not take it as I was in the process of moving into my new house and I was not sure if my address could have a line installed.

Well, the offer is available on any speed no matter what you choose. The only catch is that you may not cancel your account for 1 year, otherwise, as stated above, you would pay in the difference.

Number to call is 10210 (I believe).

chrisc

Executive Member
Is this offer for line rental, or Telkom ISP, or a bundled package? My line is with Axxess and ISP is Opeweb and I am loath to change since Openweb offer such excellent service

Reading the OP carefully, it sounds like the line only

Ryansr

Expert Member
This is very interesting news. Unfortunately this would not really be offered to people on a bundle like Telkom Simple 3, would it? :confused:

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
This is very interesting news. Unfortunately this would not really be offered to people on a bundle like Telkom Simple 3, would it? :confused:

I'm on Simple 1 and they offered it on my entire line including Simple 1 & ADSL circuit.

I just did not want to commit myself to another contract. There was no discussion about early termination penalties. Personally I'm not going to loose sleep about it as I just scored a new cordless phone from Telkom with my line transfer.

chrisc

Executive Member
Had a word with Telkom. Since the line is with Axxess, they cannot assist. However, should I move the line back to Telkom, then the 25% discount would apply.

I could not get from the agent whether the discount was time limited or permanent. She side-stepped the question I asked 3 times

(I have Telkom Closer 3 plan)

mikef

Expert Member

Had a similar call.

I was told that the 25% is on either the line rental or the adsl rental and applied for 12 months after which it fell away. In my case it amounted to 25% of R425.

chrisc

Executive Member
I just called Telkom again. I spoke to promotions, cancellations, faults, new services, then adsl (75 mins on the phone). There is now no longer a promotion as only one of the 5 people I spoke to above had heard of it and didn't know any details. The staff are particularly uninformed.

With a possible snafu in the making, I cannot trust Telkom to get it right and will leave it as it is.

In any case, Axxess discount the line about 15% which is good enough for me

ABU

I just called Telkom again. I spoke to promotions, cancellations, faults, new services, then adsl (75 mins on the phone). There is now no longer a promotion as only one of the 5 people I spoke to above had heard of it and didn't know any details. The staff are particularly uninformed.

With a possible snafu in the making, I cannot trust Telkom to get it right and will leave it as it is.

In any case, Axxess discount the line about 15% which is good enough for me

I just called 10210 now.
They transferred me to the relevant department, who said that I qualify as I have the line for over 12 months.
I was given a 25% discount on R425.

Thanks to the OP.

K-VI

I am on the call with them at the moment and they only giving 25% off my ADSL line rental, and not the full package unfortunately. Still a discount so will not complain:). They also transferred me to multiple wrong departments and the one that helped me was the ADSL cancellation department which is quite funny.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Telkom called me on Friday and asked if I want to upgrade to a 2Mb line as I'm currently on a 1Mb. Told her that's fine as I'm on 15 waiting for the 20 to be activated, and that she should not change anything on my account at all.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
I just called 10210 now.
They transferred me to the relevant department, who said that I qualify as I have the line for over 12 months.
I was given a 25% discount on R425.

Thanks to the OP.

Do you know what department it is?