2Mbps -> 4Mbps - Your thoughts?

MrG

Executive Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
6,007
Reaction score
21
Simple question: Should I? Any significant benefits really? i.e would I regret it? It's been on my mind for a while...

Household: 1
Speed: 2Mbps
ISP: Free FNBConnect Uncapped

Devices on WiFi:
- Tablet
- Phone
- Laptop
- TV
- PC

I do stream a lot of YouTube to my TV via ChromeCast.

ISP wise I can go up to 4Mbps for Free with FNBConnect, the cost for 4Mbps will be an additional ~R140 with Afrihost handing my line.
 
Last edited:
I'm on the same boat as you. Yeah for an extra R140 is not bad for the ADSL Line. Only thing is my ADSL line is with Helkom.
 
Simple question: Should I? Any significant benefits really? i.e would I regret it? It's been on my mind for a while...

Household: 1
Speed: 2Mbps
ISP: Free FNBConnect Uncapped

Devices on WiFi:
- Tablet
- Phone
- Laptop
- TV
- PC

I do stream a lot of YouTube to my TB via ChromeCast.

ISP wise I can go up to 4Mbps for Free with FNBConnect, the cost for 4Mbps will be an additional ~R140 with Afrihost handing my line.

Yes. Not even a question. Internet will be a pleasure to use, instead of a chore.

Difference is night and day.
 
Yes. Not even a question. Internet will be a pleasure to use, instead of a chore.

Difference is night and day.

+1. Moved up from 2 to 4 2 months ago, now I can watch Youtube in HD(or at least 720p in some cases) instead of 360/480.

Basically think about it this way: every download will download twice as fast as it did before. If that doesn't do it for you, nothing will.
 
+1. Moved up from 2 to 4 2 months ago, now I can watch Youtube in HD(or at least 720p in some cases) instead of 360/480.

Basically think about it this way: every download will download twice as fast as it did before. If that doesn't do it for you, nothing will.

ditto, moved from 2 to 4 within a month of signing up to the 2mbps package. Was initially on a 2mbps uncapped, but changed to a 4mbps and 100GB capped package.

latency im still fighting with Telkom, but otherwise its a good decision to upgrade
 
First check if you qualify like many of us in the Anyone noticing speed upgrades on Telkom ADSL thread.

PM TelkomZA or phone. Current criteria is MSAN/ISAM exchanges get this but am sure i am not on these but requested it and on a higher speed.

They are doing this to cover for overhead. You will get 5Mbps synch to cover overhead on 4Mbps so make sure your iSP covers that extra :D.
 
First check if you qualify like many of us in the Anyone noticing speed upgrades on Telkom ADSL thread.

PM TelkomZA or phone. Current criteria is MSAN/ISAM exchanges get this but am sure i am not on these but requested it and on a higher speed.

They are doing this to cover for overhead. You will get 5Mbps synch to cover overhead on 4Mbps so make sure your iSP covers that extra :D.

Or ask for it to not be applied if you do online gaming. Got mine removed successfully.
 
I'm on Afrihost capped:

Went from 2Mbps to 4Mbps and it was OK. Went from 4Mbps to 8Mbps and at first I did not notice it until I realised that no matter how many devices where connected, it always felt if I was the only one on the network.

What we did on a 4Mbps line:

1 x SmartTV streaming showmax
1 x PC working on servers via SSH
1 x Cell phone reading emails


What we do on an 8Mbps line:

2 x SmartTV streaming showmax
1 x PC working on servers via SSH
1 x PC browsing and image uploads
2 x Cell phones browsing
1 x Tablet streaming youtube


Go 8Mbps.
 
I'm on Afrihost capped:

Went from 2Mbps to 4Mbps and it was OK. Went from 4Mbps to 8Mbps and at first I did not notice it until I realised that no matter how many devices where connected, it always felt if I was the only one on the network.

What we did on a 4Mbps line:

1 x SmartTV streaming showmax
1 x PC working on servers via SSH
1 x Cell phone reading emails


What we do on an 8Mbps line:

2 x SmartTV streaming showmax
1 x PC working on servers via SSH
1 x PC browsing and image uploads
2 x Cell phones browsing
1 x Tablet streaming youtube


Go 8Mbps.

Personally that would be lovely, but 4Mb/s is already at the edge of my affordability ceiling.
 
No real difference between my Telkom 2Meg to 4Meg...

Still can't play MKX online, or SC2 or D3.
 
[video=youtube;ZXsQAXx_ao0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0[/video]
 
No real difference between my Telkom 2Meg to 4Meg...

Still can't play MKX online, or SC2 or D3.

I had a crap 4mbs satellite internet and could quiet easily play SC2 and D3. Maybe you should get your line checked out.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X