2Mbps -> 4Mbps - Your thoughts?

My Line is working overtime.4mbps but i get downloads on torrents up to 480kbps!!
 
Check your modem stats, a lot of people are sycning at higher speeds.

I think it may have something to do with free telkom upgrades.Telkom is rolling out 4mbps -> 5mbps for free.Suburb by suburb.
 
Yes. rFactor 2 has a bit of prediction issues with pings over 200. If you saw my edit above.

Just saw your edit and I now see your predicament, lucky for me 50ms on local servers is still good and I gained 120KB/s on my line.
 
Just saw your edit and I now see your predicament, lucky for me 50ms on local servers is still good and I gained 120KB/s on my line.

Yeah. Unluckily sim racing is dying in SA so all I have to race Gmotor sims on, is European servers(and some American).
 
First check if you qualify like many of us in the Anyone noticing speed upgrades on Telkom ADSL thread.

PM TelkomZA or phone. Current criteria is MSAN/ISAM exchanges get this but am sure i am not on these but requested it and on a higher speed.

They are doing this to cover for overhead. You will get 5Mbps synch to cover overhead on 4Mbps so make sure your iSP covers that extra :D.

since when could they do this? im also not on the MSAN/ISAM, and i was told they could not do this as im still on the older DSLAM
 
Just saw your edit and I now see your predicament, lucky for me 50ms on local servers is still good and I gained 120KB/s on my line.

Here you can see a thread I created about it last year on their forums. I see he says 150ms but I've tested it a lot with 200ms and that seems to be a clearer threshold, as under that, it works fine, but just a little above and it's messy as ****.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/17914-Bad-Ping-When-Online-Please-Help!
 
since when could they do this? im also not on the MSAN/ISAM, and i was told they could not do this as im still on the older DSLAM

They started [from forum reports and thread i linked] around 2 weeks or so ago. Best to ask multiple people [or if you heard from TelkomZA] if you are supported, if majority is NO then you are out of luck then :(.

OP, you can also ask Telkom to upgrade your speed and test for a few hours. Tell them you want to do a stability check. Make sure all your testing is ready, no charge for this ;).
 
Thanks everyone for the input. :)

What is the fastest and slowest time frame for the line change if I request it via the Afrihost client panel?
 
+1. Moved up from 2 to 4 2 months ago, now I can watch Youtube in HD(or at least 720p in some cases) instead of 360/480.

Basically think about it this way: every download will download twice as fast as it did before. If that doesn't do it for you, nothing will.

I can download 1GB in less than 30 minutes now. It was rather freaky when I queued a whole lot of DLC to download on my new XBox One on Friday night and then started to play my Star Wars BF. While playing I would constantly get these popups that the games where ready to play and it had zero impact on my online experience - 10GB downloads.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X