8ta Network Problems - Cape Town Area

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
I've been using 8ta since they entered the market, and today I had serious problems with network. I was driving around the Cape Town area - from Ottery to Parow to Rondebosch. I had full reception most of the time but every time I tried to dial a number, my phone would tell me Emergency Numbers Only. WTF? I tried an SMS, but it wouldn't send. That was a 10:00 this morning. I restarted my phone - still no good. Then about an hour later I received like 3 sms's at once from people trying to get hold of me, and even a voicemail notification. Every few hours I would get a bunch of SMS's which are a few hours late.

Eventually I tried making a call 5 times in a row. The first 4 times it either told me "Emergency Calls Only", or the call would just hang. Then 'lo and behold, on the 5th try I got through. An hour later I tried making calls again or sending SMS's - no good. I was actually forced to make some change and use a public payphone. A PAYPHONE! I haven't used one of those in years.

I hope this problem doesn't persist, otherwise I'll be forced to revert back to Cell C. I'm really loving 8ta's free minutes, and it would crush me to change networks, but I simply can't have 8ta conking out on me like this.

Has anyone else experienced this today?

MickeyD

RIP
If you have been roaming on the MTN network then it would explain things.... MTN had problems today.

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
Mm, that might explain it. I roam on MTN most of the time. Thanks.